Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: I'm thinking about getting a liner, but I'm still not sure.

I <3 liners. A) After the initial cost, they're not very expensive (you have to do laundry anyway!) B) they're a LOT healthier (See Nancy's post) and C) they're eco-friendly! You're reusing them and not throwing out non-recyclable shavings every other day!

1) We change our liners for everyone every night, unless someone hasn't been pooping properly or actually found the litter box... We do our laundry once a week and all hedgie paraphernalia (sacks, cuddle blankets, liners, etc.) goes in the last load. That being said, I'm not sure if you have like a Homegoods or a Marshalls or TJMaxx by you, but you can find a king size fleece blanket for like $20. We got a good 25 liners out of a cheap king size fleece blanket. And whenever someone in our family gets new bedding, they usually hand over their now old fleece blankets =)

2) The blanket would be fine-- you may want to cut it up though so you have some spare liners. Light colors/white are great because you can make sure there's nothing abnormal going on while you're not looking ;)

3) You can give him other things-- we use fleece purses intended for little girls or small fleece baby blankets that they love cuddling with. The purses are pretty handy as hedgehog-picker-uppers too!

4) I can't think of a different way to wash them... Just make sure you shake them out reeeaaalllyyyy well!

5) I wouldn't put it in with your whites (unless they're like socks or something you have enough of in case you have a reaction). As far as bleach goes, we bleach them every other week. The boys don't seem to mind the smell and it goes away as soon as they pee on it anyway :roll:

As far as the litter box thing goes, we have noooooo problems. I think I've noticed that our boys will use the litter box first, and when it gets too dirty for their liking (MAYBE 6 poops-- they're very prissy) they move on to the liner. And even with that, they're usually pooping in their wheel, so it's not like they're going out of their way to soil the liners and make everyone's life miserable. If anything, the liners make it easier when you have a litter box cause if they miss, you only have to shake out the liner and put it in a plastic bag (we do that too, but we put a dryer sheet in the bag to save our closets until laundry day), and get a fresh one without having to scrub down the bottom of the cage because of what the Carefresh crap (I haaattteeeeee that stuff almost as much as I hate packing peanuts!!) doesn't absorb.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: I'm thinking about getting a liner, but I'm still not sure.

That's interesting, Pixie-- Our poopie boots (as someone so eloquently put it on this forum ;) ) usually happen from wheel running, and not because of trampling through poop on the liners.. Have you tried it with a litter box? Maybe if they're so used to going somewhere else to poop when you use litter, they would poop in the litter box (where they used to poop when you weren't using liners)..

It never occurred to me that hedgehogs would step in poop on the liners, lol! D'uh! We've just lucked out and never had that problem I guess...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.