Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Re: I'm thinking about getting a liner, but I'm still not sure.

Lots are worried about putting dirty liners in the wash. If you make enough that you can wait to wash them all at once you won't have to mix and match. I have towels (used for drying wheels & hedgehogs), wash clothes and liners for my quill kids. They have their own laundry wash (even with only 1).

I hate the substrate type litters. We always had a mess on the floor and I've had a couple of rehomes now that were plain out filthy from carefresh dust.

I highly recommend liners. The first time we found a tiny blood spot on a light colored liner it reaffirmed why I only use the lighter colors. You just cannot find these type of health problems in carefresh or dark colored liners nearly as easy.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Re: I'm thinking about getting a liner, but I'm still not sure.

I'm curious as to why as well. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have not used a litter box with a hedgehog since 2002. I had one hedgehog who would try to eat anything in a litter pan, and it just wasn't worth the hassle. I found it was easier to not use a litter pan.

For the most part all of my hedgehogs have chosen one spot in their cage to go potty and you just have to spot clean that spot. Really no different than spot cleaning a litter pan... plus, if you use a substrate litter in the pan spotting blood, abnormal color urine, etc. can be more difficult. I can see these discolorations very quickly on a light colored liner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.