Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Re: I'm thinking about getting a liner, but I'm still not sure.

On average at any given time I have 25-35 adult hedgehogs living here. All but 2 are on liners. My personal preference for liners is the ones I make in a flannel/fleece, flannel/cord or cord/cord combination. They absorb the best, are nice and cozy warm and last the longest. I'm still using the first ones I made 5.5 years ago.

Many of my hedgehogs have just cut up fleece as a liner. It works ok, does not absorb as well as proper liners, but is perfectly fine. Fleece does not show up odd coloured urine as well as flannel or corduroy does.

I wash them once a week in unscented laundry soap with vinegar in the rinse. Shake or pick off the poops and any quills. Don't use bleach as it weakens the fibers and is not necessary. Vinegar works great in the rinse. Wash by hand if you aren't comfortable with them in the washer. I will say that with one hedgie, changing the liners every couple of days is not a big deal to wash in the washer. Of course, I do numerous loads of nothing but hedgie laundry.

Depending on the individual hedgehog, I change liners anywhere from every second day to once a week. Those that are 100% litter trained get a liner change once a week even though the liner is not dirty.

Carefresh is far more messy than any liner every will be. I often have rehomes that come in on Carefresh and I HATE the darn stuff. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts

Using liners isn't all about saving money. Liners are a much healthier option than any type of shavings, Carefresh or loose bedding. All bedding materials are dusty and the hedgehogs whose nose is right down at this bedding level is breathing in that dust. Ingesting bedding such as Carefresh can cause blockages and have been the cause of at least a couple documented cases. Loose bedding also can carry mites which liners can't.

For a couple of hedgehogs the cost of laundering the liners is negligible, just pick off the poops, any stray quills and wash with your own laundry.

Hedgehogs do not need to be litter trained to use liners and there is more chance of hedgie becoming trained when using liners. I've taken in many rescues who have never seen a liner before in their life. Not one has had an issue with the liners and many are now very neat hedgehogs.

Over the past 5.5 years we have had on average 25-35 hedgehogs living here at any given time and the majority are on liners. Only the moms and babies are on shavings and on occasion a rescue will be on shavings or Carefresh for a while if that is what they are used to. If using shavings or Carefresh was cheaper and easier than using liners, you can bet I'd be doing it. I get the rescues onto liners as soon as possible because loose bedding is just plain messy. Liners are far easier. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts

The only time I've had a problem with poop smearing on a liner is when someone has been having soft poop issues. Normal adult hedgie poop should pick right off a liner. I've also not had a problem with poop inside their bed except for just weaned babies and if someone is sick. Otherwise, they poop in their chosen corner, under the wheel, and of course, on the wheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.