Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends. I've been reading since joining but being so new to hedgies, haven't felt like I can really have much input or advice in most cases. But, I'm learning a lot.

Today, an old friend stopped by with her daughter and my sons brought out Spikerina. She was almost freaking out! It's a little alarming. I don't know what was up, but the girl does have exotic pets (lemur, skunk) and dogs. Anyway, Spikerina wouldn't stay on my lap or my son's, was darting all around. Last night, I did give her a larger hunk of banana than normal, but it was largely uneaten today.

I was thinking maybe she was having a rush of sugar from that but now figure it's probably the foreign scents of the girl's animals. I'm a little worried because an hour or two later, we brought her out again and she remained almost frenzied, though was resting in her cage as usual beforehand. The smells could still be lingering, I suppose. I just wanted to be sure you don't think there is any cause for alarm. We haven't had her out much this week w/ the last few days of school and baseball winding down.

Please advise me if you think there could be something bad going on.

Thanks,
Dana

·
Registered
29 Posts
it might just be the lingering smell. hedgehogs noses are more sensitive than ours so the smell of those exotics still might be very strong for her. My hedgehog freaks if weird smells that she doesnt like comes her way, but she returns to normal when the smell disappears.

I am no expert so you can take my advice with a grain of salt!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I think it was just that as she has been more "normal" since, though more active. Probably, she's more comfortable these days come to think of it. I'm used to her being more on the shy side, but she's rearing to go when we get her out for play time which lacked slightly w/ the end of school rushing around. We've settled more into a routine since summer began.

Thanks again,
Dana

1 - 3 of 3 Posts