1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are using a plastic storage container, you might want to try a space heater.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told they were safe for plastic bins as long as you dont touch the hot metal to the plastic. I plan on keeping it at 75 or 76, nothing to hot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still isn't good. The heat from the emitter will build up inside the bin, potentially causing your hedgehog to overheat. With plastic & Heat there is always a change for a fire/melting, even if they don't touch.

A space heater is your best option with a plastic bin, or if you want to use the emitter, switch to a plastic bottomed wire cage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on having the top open or at least having holes punches in the top so it will be ventilated. I got the stand so I set it up above the bin without it being close.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Heat shouldn't "build up" in a plastic bin any different from any other material. And if used with a controller 76 degrees is 76 degrees no matter what it is in. The bin won't melt at 76 or even 80 so as long as the emitter isn't in direct contact with the plastic it should be fine. Heat from a ceramic heat emitter is no different than heat from natural gas, electricity, coal, fuel oil, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts