Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lurker since I was about 12 and got my first hedgie, first time brave enough to post :)

While I've had three hedgehogs before, it's been a few years, and I've decided on doing things differently than I have in the past. For the first time I'm using fleece liners instead of shavings, a ceramic heat emitter with a lamp (and a thermostat set to 76) instead of a space heater, and a cage made from those DIY bookshelves instead of the large guinea pig enclosure I've used in the past. It's also the first time I've gotten a baby hedgehog from a breeder instead of an adult from a rescue, so I'm even more paranoid I'll do something wrong.

I just brought Caspian home last week, he's almost exactly two months old, and he seems to be a very happy little hoglet, absolutely ADORES his Carolina Storm wheel (his breeder said his brothers used to bully him off the wheel in their shared cage) just thought I'd ask the pros if there was anything I could be doing better for him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it looks fine! I do recommend the fleece liners. Hedgehogs do tend to sleep under there cover so if you want you can get like puppy training pads so it doesn't get super dirty but that's entirely your choice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it looks fine! I do recommend the fleece liners. Hedgehogs do tend to sleep under there cover so if you want you can get like puppy training pads so it doesn't get super dirty but that's entirely your choice!
So far I absolutely love the fleece liners, they're so much easier to clean than the bedding ever was. I got a great deal at JoAnn's, and got four yards super cheap, so I have about 8 liners and two bags stuffed full of fleece strips and squares, and so far I've had them single layer, clean the cage every other day (sticking the dirty liners in an airtight bag to be washed last on laundry day). When I clean his cage I wipe down the bottom with water and a couple drops of enzyme cleaner I use for my cats and haven't had any smell whatsoever. Caspian doesn't seem to have any urge to dig under them as of yet, his favorite sleeping place seems to be buried in the t-shirt of mine I keep under his igloo, so they stay pretty clean, but if his habits change I will definitely keep that in mind!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts