Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hedgehog 3 years ago and stopped using anything with tea tree oil in it because I read that is toxic to hedgehogs. But something I am wondering is...

1) is it toxic if it is in an ointment that I use for my horse (that has a bunch of different oils and essential oils in it), but then if I still have a tiny smell of that ointment on me, is that toxic for my hedgehog even though it is essentially diluted quite a bit?

2) if i used a shampoo for myself that had other ingredients in addition to some tea tree in it (which means it is also essentially diluted), would that be toxic for my hedgehog?

3) if i used a veggie wash that had tea tree, would that be toxic to my hedgehog even though she wouldn't be eating the food washed with it?

I know that what we put into our bodies comes out through sweat, but I am wondering how toxic it would be for me to use tea tree in small amounts in other products diluted greatly and then still spend time with my hedgehog?

I have completely thrown everything out that has tea tree in it and haven't used it in 3 years except for an ointment I have for my horse, but when I use that I just don't hold my hedgehog for that day so there isn't even a trace of smell. I am wanting to know how necessary that is... If I really have to go without holding her if I use something has tea tree in it.

I haven't been able to find any of these answers the past 3 years I have been searching, so hopefully someone else has some thoughts and answers to this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have tea tree in my shampoo and body wash and my hedgehog is doing great! Haven't seen any issues on that, I think because it is such a small amount that you wash off anyways.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,053 Posts
It seems - not specific to hedgehogs but just pets in general mostly cats and dogs, that tea tree oil is super toxic when not diluted at all or in high concentrations.

Products with very low concentration of it are not expected to have problems with pets - not just for op but anyone reading - this doed not mean you can use those products on them.

Wash off as much of it after use but should be okay handling your pet after using them

Tea tree oil in diffusers ect are not recommended at all, so still avoid this if you use that sort of stuff.

This is all based off general pest mostly cats and dogs but a lot of our informaton comes like that. I am also not a vet or expect a I have always avoided with that stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tea tree in my shampoo and body wash and my hedgehog is doing great! Haven't seen any issues on that, I think because it is such a small amount that you wash off anyways.
Thank you! I have been timid to use anything with tea tree because I haven't wanted her to suffocate. I appreciate you sharing your experience!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems - not specific to hedgehogs but just pets in general mostly cats and dogs, that tea tree oil is super toxic when not diluted at all or in high concentrations.

Products with very low concentration of it are not expected to have problems with pets - not just for op but anyone reading - this doed not mean you can use those products on them.

Wash off as much of it after use but should be okay handling your pet after using them

Tea tree oil in diffusers ect are not recommended at all, so still avoid this if you use that sort of stuff.

This is all based off general pest mostly cats and dogs but a lot of our informaton comes like that. I am also not a vet or expect a I have always avoided with that stuff.
I appreciate this, thank you. I use essential oils with my other animals and they do fine, but other than lavender in my hedgehog's shampoo I haven't used any oils directly on her. Been more cautious with her since she has thinner skin and is more sensitive than my other pets. When I have diffused in her room, it has always been for a short time and non hot oils.

I just haven't been sure if I were to use products on myself that contain tee tree if that would harm her.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,053 Posts
I appreciate this, thank you. I use essential oils with my other animals and they do fine, but other than lavender in my hedgehog's shampoo I haven't used any oils directly on her. Been more cautious with her since she has thinner skin and is more sensitive than my other pets. When I have diffused in her room, it has always been for a short time and non hot oils.

I just haven't been sure if I were to use products on myself that contain tee tree if that would harm her.
I totally get that! Honestly it is one of those things you want to check but have to go mostly based off other pets. Just keep an eye on her for any reaction to not liking the smell.

·
Registered
Cassie is a six month old, adorable hedgie!
13 Posts
If you are not putting the tea tree directly on the hedgehog they should be fine. Once I had a scare where my hedgie got into clove oil. (Which is also toxic to hedgehogs) but she only licked a little bit of it so she is fine. So just as long as you don’t directly give the tea tree to them, it’s perfectly fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are not putting the tea tree directly on the hedgehog they should be fine. Once I had a scare where my hedgie got into clove oil. (Which is also toxic to hedgehogs) but she only licked a little bit of it so she is fine. So just as long as you don’t directly give the tea tree on them, it’s perfectly fine.
Thank you! This helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are not putting the tea tree directly on the hedgehog they should be fine. Once I had a scare where my hedgie got into clove oil. (Which is also toxic to hedgehogs) but she only licked a little bit of it so she is fine. So just as long as you don’t directly give the tea tree to them, it’s perfectly fine.
I agree. Such a minimum concentration that a person has on the skin is not capable of harming a hedgehog, because an insignificantly low concentration remains on the skin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts