Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my flax seed oil in actual oil form, not in the capsules. I read on another post that it's better to get the capsules because the oil can go bad quickly, being exposed often to oxygen. I was just wondering how to tell if the oil has gone bad. I've been using this bottle for a month, at least, maybe two months. I do put it in her food, not on her back. I will throw the rest away if there's any hint of it being bad, and get capsules instead, I just wanted to know what to look for. I'd feel horrible if Lily got sick because it went bad and I didn't know. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
What I had read was that flaxseed oil will oxidize after about 3 weeks, even if continually kept cool in a refrigerator. Flaxseed oil that has oxidized will do harmful things when consumed. so please just get the caps to be safe.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh, oh, and I haven't been keeping it in the fridge, either, just in my room. :( I'll get rid of it immediately, then, and get the capsules tomorrow while I'm out shopping. Thank you!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Most all natural oils will go rancid or spoil when exposed to air for a while. You can smell the difference. The flax seed oil soft gels will stay fresh almost indefinitely. And they contain just about the right amount to cover a day or so of kibble for one hedgie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts