Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get my little hedgehog, I plan on feeding it Wellness cat food. I know the breeder I am buying him from will have been feeding him Iams cat food. How do I switch the foods? Would it be the same as say, a cat? Just slowly add the new one in and use less and less of the old? Also, how much do you feed a 2month old heggie? I don't want to over feed him.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It's great to hear you will be feeding Wellness, it is a thousand times better than Iams.

If you can gradually transfer from Iams to Wellness by putting in small amounts of Wellness in it's old food, and just keep adding more over a period of about 2 weeks, that is best. Some hedgies will eat around the old food and just eat the new stuff. This can cause tummy upsets but as long as it doesn't last too long, don't worry about it too much. If green/runny poop continues, it's best to get to a vet, and make sure hedgie's hydrated.

Most owners have a bowl of food available at all times, so a hedgie is never hungry. Just have a bit more than hedgie'll eat in one night, that way you can toss the old stuff in the morning. :)

·
Administrator
3,709 Posts
I try to use a 4 week switch over. Typical switch over amounts I use are as follows:

Week 1: 25% new food
Week 2: 50% new food
Week 3: 75% new food
Week 4: 100% new food.

Its probably longer than you really need. But it really allows the hedgehog to gradually get adjusted to the new foods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts