Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The article is not too far off but here were some issues I had with it

in step 1 - hedgehogs should not be kept in glass aquariums

step 2 - you shouldn't use corncob bedding for females either, it's just a bad bedding
- you can't use regular cat litter in the litter box, most people use paper towel, shavings or yesterdays news.

step 3 - putting an old t-shirt in is good advice but if you tear it up then there will be loose threads your hedgehog could get a leg caught in.
- hedgehogs should not have things to climb on they could fall and get hurt - they do not need things to chew or scratch.
- Don't provide water for swimming in the cage. it will cause a hibernation attempt and a mess - most hedgehogs don't like water anyway

step 4 - don't use a water bottle use a dish.

step 5 - you need a heat source not just a warm place to put the cage (Ceramic heat emitter or space heater is recommended) 85 is too hot for most hedgehogs.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgielover said:
The article is not too far off but here were some issues I had with it

in step 1 - hedgehogs should not be kept in glass aquariums

step 2 - you shouldn't use corncob bedding for females either, it's just a bad bedding
- you can't use regular cat litter in the litter box, most people use paper towel, shavings or yesterdays news.

step 3 - putting an old t-shirt in is good advice but if you tear it up then there will be loose threads your hedgehog could get a leg caught in.
- hedgehogs should not have things to climb on they could fall and get hurt - they do not need things to chew or scratch.
- Don't provide water for swimming in the cage. it will cause a hibernation attempt and a mess - most hedgehogs don't like water anyway

step 4 - don't use a water bottle use a dish.

step 5 - you need a heat source not just a warm place to put the cage (Ceramic heat emitter or space heater is recommended) 85 is too hot for most hedgehogs.
Ditto :D I am to lazy to type all that :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was pretty extensive, but yeah, I've never heard of the water pan, or chewing or rubbing their face on stuff. That stuff is in one of the sources, though. Also, I've read on websites before that corncob bedding is the BEST bedding! I don't use it, but thought that was odd. And most sites I've been to have also said to use regular cat litter. Adler never took to potty training though.

For everything someone says about raising a hedgehog, it seems someone else will say something opposite. Personally, I use a water bottle for my hedgehog and she has no problems with using it. I can tell a noticeable difference in the water levels.

I don't think the article is necessarily wrong, most of the things are about preference.

But yeah, the swimming thing was my main issue. NEVER heard that before.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
courtno said:
I thought it was pretty extensive, but yeah, I've never heard of the water pan, or chewing or rubbing their face on stuff. That stuff is in one of the sources, though. Also, I've read on websites before that corncob bedding is the BEST bedding! I don't use it, but thought that was odd. And most sites I've been to have also said to use regular cat litter. Adler never took to potty training though.

For everything someone says about raising a hedgehog, it seems someone else will say something opposite. Personally, I use a water bottle for my hedgehog and she has no problems with using it. I can tell a noticeable difference in the water levels.

I don't think the article is necessarily wrong, most of the things are about preference.

But yeah, the swimming thing was my main issue. NEVER heard that before.
I don't want to cause an argument but I have to disagree with you. Just because the article had sources doesn't mean those sources were correct or that those things are just a matter of preference. Sure some things are preference, one layer of fleece or two, which foods in the mix and how many. Aspen shavings or recycled paper bedding.

Leaving a pan of water in the cage for a hedgehog to swim in makes no sense, first of all no matter how warm it is when the hedgehog leaves the pan they will be to cold and will try to hibernate. Swimming too often causes dry skin because water washes off natural oils. Also it goes against their natural instincts to swim because they cannot ball up so are vulnerable. Some hedgehogs like water but that doesn't mean they need a swimming pool in the cage.

If they chew on something hard like a rock (which is the stupidest thing to recommend as an animal chew toy) they will break their teeth which don't grow back. Quigley has several missing teeth from his previous caregivers giving him rawhide and a water bottle.

The websites that say corncob bedding is the best are flat out wrong. It is not good for females because they can still get it stuck in private areas (although less easily) and because so many small animals have been known to eat it. Plus it stinks and is not comfortable for the hedgehog (or any other animal) to walk on/burrow in.

Cat litter is dangerous for hedgehogs because it is dusty, it sticks to private parts that are probably touching it when the hedgehog relieves it self, it can stick the hedgehogs nose if they sniff or burrow in it and if it clumps these problems are even worse. Furthermore if it is the cat litter with crystals I'm pretty sure it's toxic. Saying regular cat litter without a further qualifier is a recipe for disaster. Some have said that you can use, non-clumping, non-crystal stuff but it still has the dust problem and a certain amount will still get stuck to the hedgehogs nose. Also it doesn't absorb smell and really stinks as soon as an animal pees in it.

Most sites about hedgehogs are wrong and when people here give reasons for why something is not used or is not preferred it's clear to see who knows what they are talking about.

What you say is a matter of preference is the difference between things that are preferred because they are safer and generally better for the hedgehog VS things that a hedgehog can live with but have the potential to cause problems (like dust or bad ventilation in aquariums)

Quigley lived for over two years in a pet store that did not handle him, did not clean the cage regularly, had a water bottle in the cage, a wood hut that was too small, wood shavings that stunk, had no heat source with the cage in a drafty window, and gave him rawhide. He never had a wheel and he was on low quality greasy kitten food.

These people probably thought they were caring for him at least sufficiently because he survived. Is that good enough for our hedgehogs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Immortalia said:
lol I love how they have a picture of a European hedgie :lol:
If going by the pic, I guess the temperature issue wouldn't be so bad. As well as the swimming thing...
I've done content writing before and you have to choose from the pictures they have.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did you notice that it said the quills can be "extremely sharp"?
I don't own one yet (but I will in a couple months if the litter is large enough!!) but I've held a hedgie before and I wouldn't call the quills *extremely* sharp...
hr

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It depends on the individual hedgehog. Some quills are what could be considered "extremely sharp", others, not so much. Also it depends on the sensitivity of the person. I don't see anything wrong with that statement. It's better to tell people the quills are sharp so they know what could be expected.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Whyte's quills pierce the skin. If he was my first hedgehog I probably would have decided against the pet. (sorry Whyte, love ya, but its true) Thankfully Riley taught me things could be better.

I like that this forum is up front and honest about hedgehogs, no sugar coating like some online articles and breeder sites tend to be. If you choose to love them anyway, THAT'S GREAT! But you at least get the honest information. I don't feel it is all "preferences", some people on here are speaking from years of experience, they know what is tried and true.

I didn't take all the advice in the beginning, but I'm slowly realizing just how sound the advice was.

I'm glad you posted the link and that others corrected it. It isn't directed at you, its great that the link is there, and the explanations for why some of the items aren't ideal are also able to be discussed. Thank you for sharing and I hope you post more things that you find! Its all out there for us to learn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.