Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

We would really love to start feeding our hog Phoenix worms for stimulation and for the valuable nutrient content.

Rainbow Worms' website says to keep them between 50-60*F, for the best shelf life, but I have seen other sources that say higher temps are okay.

I live in a small apartment and don't have the space for a wine fridge to keep them in, so I have been experimenting with various insulated lunch box coolers and ice packs. I can't keep a steady temperature, but overall, the temps are between 45-65 for the most part.

Does anyone here have EXPERIENCE with Phoenix worms? How did you keep them? What are the consequences for going outside of that temp range? (e.g. do they pupate at higher temps? or do they just die?)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I live in a hot area as well and had Phoenix worms. I didn't even know about the temperature requirements.

In my experience, the more you feed them, the quicker they pupate lol. I've never had one die and my average temperate is 28-32 °C in summers, if not hotter.

But then again, I don't breed with them, I just buy enough for a month, and feed my boy some every 3rd or 2nd day. If you wish to breed with them then I'm not too sure about the temp requirements.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts