Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Quick backstory:
My little Hermione had a rather unpleasant experience with a bit of loose string lately, she wrapped it around her foot and cut off the blood circulation for a short while. Luckily I discovered the issue very quick and got rid of the string and brought her to the vet. They examined the foot and said it should all be fine soon and there is luckily no visible necrosis going on. They gave us home a creme and some antibiotics she should take for 5 days. A day later 2 of her toenails came off, but that was no big surprise as they had gone black during the string situation and we thought already she might loose them. Now she's in the healing process since about a week.

Now to the actual issue:
Hermione loves nothing more than running. The healing goes slower and more complicated than we had hoped for these two reasons.
We already removed her wheel so she could run less, but then she ran marathons around her cage at night instead. The foot had a hard time healing and stopping to bleed cause of all that action. Afterwards we moved her in her smaller, old cage, to give her less running space. There she literally started to pirouette around herself.
We also tried the trick with keeping the lights on during the night, to make her rest more, but that just seems so cruel to us.
She really seems to feel no bad pain in that foot, as she still uses it absolutely normal and she also eats and drinks and is as happy as always. It just heals so slow cause she is such an active little thing.
Sometimes she also scratches her quills like a dog with the hurt foot, what of course is more than bad for it, but again, she just doesn't care that she is hurt.
Then cause of all the running she always smears poop on the hurt foot, as she runs through the poop and we have troubles keeping it clean. I clean her and the cage every morning before she goes to bed but after the next night everything is a total mess again! Really worried it might get infected.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? How do we get her to calm down and give her foot time to heal? She is such a trooper, makes me a bit proud but also worried as the healing goes on so slow. Any tips would be appreciated!

Kim + Hermione

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's a good thing you stopped keeping the lights on during the night, as it interrupts their lighting schedule. You're just going to have to be patient with the little critter and continue keep her foot and her surroundings as clean as possible. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, we tried that for one night but then figured that this just can't be the solution. We will try to go on like this, hopefully she will be better soon.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Perhaps wiping the foot with the issue with a warm damp cloth to get any poop off it in the morning so it is then clean for the rest of the day whilst she sleeps, to help keep infection risks to a minimum. Just make sure it is fully dry before putting her back in her cage.

Hoping her foot heals soon! It's a constant worry of mine that a strand of my long hair will get caught on Yuki. It's really lucky you noticed quickly and her foot didn't have to be amputated ><

1 - 4 of 4 Posts