Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gone to Pet Smart today to get a heat lamp for Preston, but the sales associates all said they only had reptile heat lamps and that it would basically fry him. They suggested a heat pad for under the cage but there were non that were suitable for his cage. For the time being I baught a room heater, his cage is on the table and i put the heater on the ground. I also but a digital thermometer but it seems off to me saying it is 80 degrees in here but i have goose bumps :S Does any one have any suggestions for heating and thermometers that work best for a hedgie!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The ceramic heat emitters are considered made for reptiles but as long as you use a thermostat won't be too hot for a hedgie (these are made specifically for the CHEs or other heating devices, should be found in the reptile section too, most likely near the heat lamps and bulbs). Heat pads aren't good anyway because they only heat the floor of the cage, not the air. You'd be okay though just heating that room as long as it is within the recommended temperature range. If you did want a heat emitter, you buy a heat lamp and a bulb that only gives off heat. There are links to specific products in the heating thread that may help you more with what exactly to buy.
I don't know about your thermometer but it definitely sounds off, do you have any other ones around the house you could check it with? Or you could go get a new one. I got mine from Walmart for like $10. They are digital fridge thermometers but are able to measure a wide range of temps so it works fine.
Also depending on how big his cage is, you might want more than one thermometer to make sure all parts are heated to hedgehog-acceptable temperature (which, also depending on cage size, could require more than one CHE).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. I will definetly go check out walmarts. As for the heat lamps they are so confusing to me:p But i will look again for some suitable ones for him. His cage is not huge but not small, he has taken over our dinning room table with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
what type of digital reader do you have? I have used accu-rite digital temp and humidity readers with great success for ambient temps and humidity with my reptiles. Available at Walmart for about $15, and last quite a while. Infrared temp guns are the best accessory ever to have for measuring temp accurately though. :)

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
When you get your Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) make sure you get a 10 inch fixture that's rated for CHE's, not all of them are. Also make sure that its a thermostat NOT a rheostat, some pet stores seem to think they'll work the same but they don't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts