Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a cage from a bookshelf as I saw another man do. However, I believe he used a heating pad and I've heard that's not a good idea and I was hoping y'all could help suggest how I should go about heating it

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
470 Posts
First off, a water bottle can be potentially dangerous for a hedgehog. Water dishes are much easier. I would recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter, you may have to cut a hole or something in the top, but then you can stick it through the top. You could also get a flood light and put that on top if you cut a hole in the wood. If you can't do this, you might have to leave the door open and clip the light onto that? Not sure how this would work, cutting a hole in the top seems like the best idea to me. Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, a water bottle can be potentially dangerous for a hedgehog. Water dishes are much easier. I would recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter, you may have to cut a hole or something in the top, but then you can stick it through the top. You could also get a flood light and put that on top if you cut a hole in the wood. If you can't do this, you might have to leave the door open and clip the light onto that? Not sure how this would work, cutting a hole in the top seems like the best idea to me. Good luck!! :)

This isn't my enclosure, this is just the inspiration.. I've heard bottles are bad but thank you for answering and warning me about it I was kind of thinking the same thing with the whole in the top as well

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,103 Posts
You could use a heat lamp and just screw it into the top, and same as if u want to use a light get one that screws in, or use LED fair lights and use tape or hooks or something to hold them up around the side.

You'll then just need holes that you can put the cables through - Which are also needed for ventilation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts