Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Paco and I went to the vet today...good news is that his feet are healing very well and no sign of infection. He said that he was hydrated, but concerned on the lack of food he was eating. I had a good day with syringing him on Mon, but would not even try after that. The vet suggested mealies...I hadn't bought them for him before as his previous owner didn't give them to him. Since he is still new to us, I didn't want to do a whole bunch of changes at once. So I bought some mealies and put them on a cloth in front of Paco on the table, and he wouldn't even look at them. What is the best way to get him to eat these. Is it safe to leave them in a dish in his cage, or will they crawl out? I certainly do not want a whole bunch of bugs crawling around my apartment. I will try again this evening to feed him via syringe, but want to see the best way to get him to eat his mealies.

Thanx

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I haven't given Lily mealies yet either, but I've heard one good way to get a hedgie to try them is to cut one in half and offer it then. Sounds gross, but it sounds logical to work, too. If he's never had them, he probably doesn't know they're food, which is why he is ignoring them right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first time we gave Jasper a mealworm, he didn't recognize it, it just didn't register with him. Later, I opened the container and let him sniff at it, and then he jumped right in and couldn't get enough! Jasper loves sticking his nose into the meal and digging and hunting out the mealworms himself, he would eat every mealworm in he container if we let him, but we only let him have 5 or 10 at a time. It seems that Jasper recognizes the smell of the meal and not the smell of the worm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts