Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have had the comfort wheel for a while now (I know it's not the best wheel), but I can't get Snickers to run on it. I am going to exersice her for a bit (she is getting a bit chubby), but I also want her to run on her own. Any tips to get her to try the wheel? It will be much apprieciated. :D

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
What size is the wheel? Is it the 12" Giant Comfort Wheel? If it's any smaller, it might be too small for her.

If it's the right size, do you have fleece or fabric liners for bedding? They're definitely the best bedding, but they don't do much to stabilize the wheel. With its shape, it can easily tip a little when a hedgie goes to step onto it, or it make shake a little when she's trying to run, making her too nervous to run on it. If you think that might be the problem, try clipping it or ziptying it to the cage wall, or putting something heavy over the wire base to hold it steady. Then try putting her on it and showing her that it's stable - it might encourage her to begin running on it.

If you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend making or buying a bucket wheel. LarryT sells Carolina Storm Wheels and Bucket Wheels, both are fantastic. There's other breeders (like MoxieBerry) that also sell bucket wheels if you're not sure on making your own.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 8 1/2 inch, your right, it is probably too small. I will see how much Larry's wheel cost. If it is too expensive I will get a 12 inch. She has wood chip bedding too. I will take your advice and try to zipty the wheel. Tonight I will put her on it and see what happens. Thanks Lilysmommy! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
bugster said:
I have the 8 1/2 inch,
Diffidently get the 12" wheel, i made the mistake of getting the 8 1/2 at first and realized she grew out of it within 2 weeks of getting her at 8 weeks old. the 12" is huge and i think she'll be fine on it for the rest of her life (though layla is a very big girl)
And I too have the comfort wheel, i know its not the best, but layla likes it well enough, i dont mind the noise, and i've never had any problems with it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts