Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought Little Beastie home Sunday. There was no prior research; it was an impulse driven by love at first sight. So I have a couple of questions for which I couldn't find answers quite & welcome any help.

When I first picked him up, Little Beastie (9 weeks old) was all over investigating his carry case. Now that he's home & in an aquarium the same size as that at the pet store, but with a hidey place (which he didn't have there), he seems to sleep all the time! He creeps out of his hidey place to eat (seemingly good appetite), then scurries back in, pooping on the way.

1. Is all this sleep normal or should I be concerned? (I am a neurotic worry-wart.)
2. How can I get some "together time," hold him a bit, and bond, without waking him up & surely scaring him in the process? Or should I wake him?

Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Babies sleep a lot. When Litchi was younger, woke her up at about 9 pm to play with her. You might want to re-consider the aquarium as a choice. They are heavy, difficult to cleen, small (if they are like my pet-shop size) and have poor ventilation. You can buy a sterlite bit, make a mesh cover and drill holes for ventilation.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can wake him, just do so gently.
I like to wake my hedgies by very slowly moving their igloo, and talking to them softly. I tell them they need to wake up, because they are going to be coming out soon. Then I will tidy up their cages for a minute or two while they have time to wake, and then they come out with me. If you do this at night, and set a sheduale, your hedgehog will get used to this and expect you to come at your set time.

Babies sleep and poop A LOT, so you don't need to be concerned.

FiaSpice made a good point, tanks are difficult to clean and provide less ventilation than a wire cage, or even a storage container with some holes cut in it.

Congrats on your new baby :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, you two; you've been most helpful. Little Beastie is now living in a wire cage, being gently woken in late evenings to "play." We're getting to know each other. He's such a little delight!

This forum has been amazingly valuable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts