Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this may seem pretty childish, but I want to be able to take my hedgehog for check ups without being nervous. I just need to know how to ask a vet if they know anything about Hedgehogs. Also what would be the cost of just a simple check up? I have a bunch of money saved already so it isn't an issue, i would just like to know.
I am just unsure how to talk to the vet and stuff. With my cats and dogs my mom has always been the one to take care of them. But seeing as my Hedgehog is MY pet, I need to know how to do this on my own. And obviously the vet care for Hedgehogs are way different than cats or dogs.

thanks for any advise

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I was the exact same way when I took Lily to the vet for the first time back in January. I've gone along with my mom on the vet visits for our dog and cat, but she's always been in charge of questions and information. My suggestions are:

1) To find out if the vet knows about hedgehogs, ask over the phone whether the clinic has a vet that has experience with hedgehogs. Ask if maybe you could talk to that vet when he/she gets a moment, and when you get a chance to talk to them, just ask what they know of hedgehogs, what kinds of things they've dealt with before.

2) The price of a check up at my vet was about $45. I've heard that some are a lot more though, it just depends on where you're located and the particular vet.

3) If you have specific questions you'd like to ask the vet, write them down before going, so you don't forget them while you're there. You might leave space after them, so you can write down his answers if you want. Make sure you address any specific concerns you might have about your hedgehog and if you'd like, you can tell him a bit about your hedgehog.

4) One thing that I did when I took Lily to the vet, was I took along the three-ring binder that I've made that contains all of her info, her food chart, her weight chart, and the things I've printed out on care of hedgehogs. I plan on taking it to any future vet visits, too. That way, I can show my vet if Lily's eating habits or weight has changed drastically at some point, and I have a correct record of it all, and don't have to guess. I also have the hedgehog lab values in there, in case my vet should need it. I made a section in the binder for vet history, and when they gave me the little bill about how much I paid, I wrote down on the blank space that we gave her Revolution for mites. I can add future bills/info in there, too. That way, I'll also have her vet history on hand. :)

Oh, and one last thing. My mom did go with me for the first vet visit, just to make sure everything checked out okay. I may end up doing some or all future visits on my own, though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you contact the clinic, they will let you know the price of an exam. When searching for a vet for my little guy, I searched for clinics online and found their contact info, then sent emails asking if they see hedgehogs. If they said yes, I got in further touch with them to find out what the cost of an exam is and what they like to do during an exam. It's about $40 for a general exam at the vet we have now, which seems to be a pretty standard price.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
One thing to ask is not only if they see hedgehogs but how many they have seen. Many vets will treat hedgehogs but may not have ever treated any, or very few.

Also ask if they will exam her without sedating. Some won't even attempt it even if the hedgehog is social.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts