Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should you wait after you know the male has successfully breed a female before putting him with another female or attempting the matting again?

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is no way to know if she is pregnant until the gestation period has past totally (55 days). Many breeders will leave their hedgies together for 4 days together, 4 days apart and 4 days together again to ensure breeding works. She may not get impregnated of the first meeting as the male may just be messy and not take his time.

As far as i know one male can continually impregnate as many females as it wants, but this is not only irresponsible, but unethical breeding. If you are sure the female is pregnant and she does indeed have babies, you will need to wait a few months after her babies are weaned before trying again. (6 months from initial meeting) Most breeders will have 2 litter per year per female. Any more can have disastrous consequences on the female and it will seem like you are running an unethical production facility.

I'm not gonna talk about whether you have bred before, their age or if you know their lineage, because if you do not know any of that, it's to late to discuss it now. I hope you did your research if this is your first time breeding, if you have bred before this does not apply.

(This and your other post could have went as one as they deal with the same question.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, no they are not the same question. If for a second you could possibly step off your high horse and read the questions for what they actually says. My intention is to NOT breed unethically or irresponsibly, so presuming this in your answer is an ignorant and insulting assumption. Not that I need to justify this to YOU, but the purpose of the question is so that I could give the male, what may be considered, ethical and reasonable time before breeding with another female. If you would like to answer that question without the undertone of arrogance please feel free, I am open for discussion. I guess that’s why they call this the discussion forum…No?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I think...The way azyrios is responding, is because from your question, it seemed like more research is still needed, that is all.

I am not a breeder, BUT I have read that you're to house the male and female for 4-7 days, separate for about 7-10 days, and put them together for another 4-7 days. all 4 dates must be marked on your calender, as they will give you the time period in which the female should give birth, if the breeding was successful. There is no way of telling, not even goin to the vets, so you just have to count 55 days after all the recorded dates(most important being the first and last), thus giving you the range.
The information is easily found on this website, as well as in other discussion threads, which made azyrios a bit warey as to how this is all being handled.

I would assume, that it would be best to finish the 3 week breeding process first for one, give the male another week to recoup, then start with the second female.

Also, because of the time period in which the male should be kept with the female, it does pretty much answer your other question, as they need to be kept together for days, and there is not actual guarantee whether your female is pregnant or not, until after day 55 of the last date you recorded.

I hope all goes well. ^_^

Again, I'm not a breeder, this is what I've read, and what I assume would be best.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
jerseyhedgehogs, no need to snap. Azyrios was simply stating what he thought, on a board open for discussion. That is why it is called a discussion forum, as you said. We will not tolerate rude behavior here.

Most owners and enthusiasts here agree that all research should be done prior to breeding, and we have few experienced breeders here. I agree with Nancy that you'd have more luck on the mailing list.

·
Registered
395 Posts
jerseyhedgehogs said:
Actually, no they are not the same question. If for a second you could possibly step off your high horse and read the questions for what they actually says. My intention is to NOT breed unethically or irresponsibly, so presuming this in your answer is an ignorant and insulting assumption. Not that I need to justify this to YOU, but the purpose of the question is so that I could give the male, what may be considered, ethical and reasonable time before breeding with another female. If you would like to answer that question without the undertone of arrogance please feel free, I am open for discussion. I guess that's why they call this the discussion forum…No?
I was not at all stating that you were running anything unethical, i was stating that if it was done the way i described it would have likely been considered unethical. All i was saying was letting a male run loose to impregnate whatever it wants is unethical, and in no way did i say that that is what your doing.

What that means is that you should be calculating out what pairs you want to breed (which i am sure you are doing) and not just using one male in a pen of females because i have not read anywhere that a male needs any downtime between breeding, as it is all pleasure for him.

I wasn't trying to be rude and I'm sorry if it seemed that way, but a lot of people come through saying they want to breed, and know very little about the costs and all the bad that comes with breeding hedgehogs. There was no way for me to know if you had bred before, which is why i included. "if you have bred before this does not apply."

I am sorry i sounded ignorant or arrogant, and i never thought i would be described as that as i despise both faults.

I do not know any exact times as i am not a breeder.

·
Registered
581 Posts
azyrios said:
I am sorry i sounded ignorant or arrogant, and i never thought i would be described as that as i despise both faults.
How can you despise Ignorance? It is simply not knowing. There are many, many things that we are all ignorant about. Stupidity is the inability to learn, huge difference.

I consider being a know-it-all (the absence of ignorance) to be a much more off-putting fault.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If non-breeders quit giving advice about breeding perhaps there would be far less drama.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Thank you Nancy, I think that was something that needed to be said for the best interests of the hedgehogs. If you don't have any experience with something its best to not say anything rather than take a chance saying something that could be wrong or misleading.

·
Registered
395 Posts
dorasdaddy said:
azyrios said:
How can you despise Ignorance? It is simply not knowing. There are many, many things that we are all ignorant about. Stupidity is the inability to learn, huge difference.

I consider being a know-it-all (the absence of ignorance) to be a much more off-putting fault.
sorry, i was using ignorant in the wrong context, my bad. I meant "vincible ignorance" which was the context i believed was being used.

If non-breeders quit giving advice about breeding perhaps there would be far less drama.
sorry nancy, i'll stop posting here. I know all i have been saying is jsut what from i have researched, and i'll leave it to real breeders and jsut absorb the knowledge they present. I was in no way trying to start anything up.

Sorry.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This may sound weird, but a male does not need a break, but it is nice to give him a break. Males do have it easier than females, just like in humans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts