Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was already a topic on this but I didn't really understand it. I have two sterlite bins connected to eachother and wanted to know if I could just place one heat lamp on his sleeping side. I was planning on turning it on and off manually and letting his natural liight come from the window. Also what watts should I use? If this wont work please let me know in very simplified terms what I should do. As cheap as possible please.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Unfortunately CHE set ups aren't cheap. Both bins need to be heated - going from the warmer bin to cooler could send him into a hibernation attempt too. So that's two lamps and bulbs. The lamps aren't too expensive, usually around $15-20 apiece, but the bulbs are typically around $30-40 each. Wattage would depend on what temperature your room is, both in the summer and winter. For a plastic bin though, you'd probably be fine with 100 watts. And turning it on/off manually won't work - they tend to heat up pretty fast, and unless you'll be there constantly to monitor the temp day and night, you won't keep the temperature steady enough. You'll need a thermostat, which run around $40 or so. You can get the 1000 watt one which would run both lamps. Here's some links to the supplies:
Lamp: http://www.petco.com/product/9469/Fluke ... Lamps-9469
Bulb: http://www.petco.com/product/111475/Zil ... rolHeating
Thermostat: http://www.petco.com/product/108340/Zil ... nSiteSearc

If you want to go the cheaper route, a space heater is usually around $50, and would heat the entire room.

Also, you'll need to leave a light on for him in the fall/winter - natural light works okay (not the best choice even so) in the summer with the long days, but they NEED 12-14 hours of light every day, about the same times or that can also cause a hibernation attempt. Many people will leave a lamp on near the cage and buy a $5 timer from a store like Walmart to plug into it. That way you can set the timer to turn the light on and off at the same time every day and keep a regular schedule.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thanks! I'll definetly look into buying two, but what about have a space where they can go if there hot? Also is it possible to just go for a reptile lamp with black bulbs?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The thermostat should be keeping the temperature ideal, where your hedgie should have no need to "escape" the heat, the cage should be evenly warm, not hot. :) You're better off using a ceramic heat emitter than a "black" bulb, the CHE will be far more efficient as far as heating goes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks! I found it really cheap on ebay! Also does the lamp have to be ceramic because I heard it does but I don't really see any that are.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Nope, just your regular clamp lamp is fine, it's the heat emitter that needs to be ceramic - it doesn't produce any light, just heat. :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Just make sure that the lamp is rated safe for use with CHEs though, and for the wattage you're using - it could be a fire hazard otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts