Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. We've had Q.P. for just over 2 weeks. He seemed to be warming up to us just fine, until yesterday, when he seemed exceptionally grumpy. Maybe because we disturbed his sleep pattern. But I noticed that he has shed more quills than usual in the last 2 days. He is only 8.5 weeks old. Just over 2 months. Is that too young to begin quilling?

I don't think he has mites. I checked my dark shirt after I had held him and he isn't scratching excessively. I looked closely at his skin last night and saw that he has very flakey (dry?) skin. I was going to give him and oatmeal/ olive oil bath this morning to remove the flakey skin, but he was too grumpy and I decided to wait until tonight. He usually doesn't mind when I give him foot baths, so I don't think he has an issue with water. But I am curious if a bath, even with oil, with make the dry skin worse, rather than better.

Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quilling can start as soon as 8 weeks. Baths do help, but any more than once every two weeks can dry the skin out more, so bathe sparingly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no idea that quilling could start so soon. I think of him as just a baby still. How long does it typically last and how many quills (approximately) will come out each day? Maybe I'll wait a few days before I give him a bath since I believe he had one the day we adopted him, just over 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
He's still a baby lol. Fae is almost 4 months old and I still think shes the same as they day I got her. My little grumpy quills.

From what I've read, quilling lasts about a month. As for how many you'll lose a day, I cant say. Fae didn't lose enough that we felt the need to keep count, but I know at least 2 a day for her, since dear fiance' stepped on them every night. :lol: (I have yet to step on a quill *knock on wood* but thats because I'm her favorite ;) )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up about 20 quills from the bottom of his cage yesterday morning. Probaly more in his fleece snuggle sack. Poor little guy. I wish I could give him some tequila to ease the discomfort.....Kidding!! ;)
I'll get him some flax oil or similar to help with the dry skin, I guess.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Length of the quilling process varies from hedgie to hedgie. Little foot started just a few weeks after I got him he was about a month and a half old and he is now 6 months and I don't think he is done--number of quills he is losing varies week by week. Sometimes he loses a lot and other times it is just a few. For mine it is a gradual process; however, some people said their hedgie lost their quills in a short period of time. It just depends. Also bathing him with a Aveeno oatmeal bath may help him out; I know mine loved it and I saw a big improvement in his skin. Someone more experienced may be able to give you a better answer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Twixx just started quilling recently I wouldn't have know, but I found one of his quills earlier the hard way IE sticking out of my big toe OUCH! Is there anything I can do for him, Or just let nature run its course ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have noticed that while Q.P. is quilling, I try to get him out of his cage and "play" with him as much as I always have, and he seems to be a little huffy at first but calms down in a matter of minutes and becomes his inquisitive self again. I have given him and oatmeal bath once and that definitely helped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts