Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had my Hedgehog for about 2 weeks now.. When i first got her home she didn't eat much, Slept most of the time.. I was worried about her but realized she is a baby, so sleeping is normal. But she started coming around on eating.. and now it seems like she's eating a ton!.. Im just curious as to how much i should be feeding her a day, I don't want to be feeding her too much.. but i also don't want to under feed her.
Im a new Hedgie Mom, so Im getting use to everything and finding out something new everyday. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Most people advocate "free feeding", so basically, always having food available to her for when she wants it. Since she's a baby, sleeping and eating are both really important because she's growing so fast, so you don't really have to worry about overfeeding. As long as the food that she's on is healthy, and not too high in fat, she should be fine. What I did with my Winston was put a whole bunch of food in his bowl, then count how many kibbles I'd put in, then, the next day, I counted how many were left, so I'd know how many he'd eaten. I give him that amount, plus a few extra in case he's more hungry one night. It works pretty well so far, as he always has a few left over, but not so many that it's wasteful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well when i wake up in the morning there is always just a little kibble left.. So she must be getting a good amount :)
I always feed her at night.. it seems like that's the schedule she's on.. I always have a little in her bowl during the day.. but i always put her food out at about 8:30 (that's when i get home from the barn) then she comes out and eats a little then runs around and then i get her out for a while to play and do whatever... then when she goes back in her cage she does what she wants and normally eats and then She goes back to sleep.. Im sure she comes out a couple different times at night tho.. because when i wake up her cage is a MESS! lol

We went through a rough patch this past week.. She was really "grumpy"... always Huffing and getting "Pokey" lol ;) She normally likes being stroked but she was not up for it.. now she's back to her sweet normal self... Im guessing she was Quilling..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Winston's going through quilling right now, so I definitely know what you mean! He's not so happy. I've gotta say, all of those quills growing through his skin looks really painful. I'm glad I don't have to do anything like that. Wisdom teeth were bad enough! :p

As long as she has food available for whenever she wants it, that's perfect. Winston likes to have a snack before going back to sleep after I play with him during the day, so I make sure he's got some food for that, too. :) Sounds like you're doing great job!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts