Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving my little girl an oatmeal bath for the first time for her quilling. I have the Aveeno colloidal packets and was just wondering how much to put in. Also, should I keep the water to where she can touch the bottom or fill it enough where she has to swim? I've seen both so I'm not sure which one to do

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I've never used the packets so I'm not sure how much. You shouldn't need more than one, I'm sure, but maybe not even a full one. The water should be cloudy, that's what I aimed for with using just regular oatmeal.

Keep the water so she can touch bottom easily and keep her face out of the water. Swimming should never be attempted unless a) it's necessary for weight loss or injury rehab, b) you're sure it doesn't panic the hedgehog completely, and c) you're keeping your eye on hedgie every second. Drowning happens VERY quickly for any animal, and hedgehogs are small and don't have a ton of energy. For that reason, swimming should also be kept to short sessions & not done more often than strictly necessary for health/medical reasons.

Make sure the bottom of the sink has something on it she can grip - it may make her feel more comfortable if she's not slipping & sliding everywhere. It's also a good idea to put her in the water butt-first so that she knows what's coming and you can make sure she's unballed and ready to keep her nose out of the water. You don't want water in her nose or ears as both can lead to infections.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you follow the instructions Kelsey gave you, you'll only need a teaspoon or two of the oatmeal. It can go kind of chunky when it hits the water so just smush it between your fingers and swish it around :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I ended up only using 1/3 of the packet and it seemed to help cuz she was pretty relaxed afterwards. I kept the water shallow enough for her to walk around in and I would never leave her in there by herself. I do need to get something for the bottom of the sink for her though but she did Fine for the few minutes she was in there. I'll probably do this once a week until she's done quilling cuz it really did seem to help her mood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts