Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More squeaking this morning so at least some are still ok. I was just wondering how long they squeak for, so I don't freak out one morning if I don't hear it. was also wondering how long they could survive if the mother isn't actually giving them milk (I'm pretty sure she is, day 3 and there's still squeaking)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Babies squeak for lots of reasons and with a large litter you will hear more squeaking than with a small litter simply because there are more babies. Mom could be laying on her side feeding a couple of babies and others are at her back squeaking because the milk bar is not at their convenience. Mom could be sitting on one or laying on one or one has wandered away.

Usually contented well fed babies don't make much noise. Yes they squeak to get moms attention and if she is an attentive mom, the squeaking won't last long but as I mentioned, with 6, mom has her hands/paws full.

There are different squeaks. Being sat on is usually a louder, more frantic squeak than the simple I'm hungry, where's lunch. :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess i could have worded my question better. What I meant was, at what age do they stop squeaking. As I noticed in Larry's vid, its at least 17 days lol. Was just wondering if i should be listening for squeaking the entire first 2 weeks so i guess that answers my question :). Also, should I peek in at 10 days to see if any didn't make it?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
They stop squeaking for mom when they are weaned. Up until then, they will squeak when they want mom. :lol:

If there are dead babies, you will soon smell it. The cage will start getting funky smelling because of the liner not being able to be changed, but dead babies is dead smell which if you've smelled it before, you will recognize.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh my, that baby in the video is freaking adorable.

I cannot wait until I am done school and in a position to take on breeding.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
emeko said:
Oh my, that baby in the video is freaking adorable.

I cannot wait until I am done school and in a position to take on breeding.
It's not all Gold&Glory ;) sometimes it's all Heartache&Sorrow :cry: jsut something to keep in mind :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh I know. I'm a tough cookie. And I've still got some years ahead of me before I'm in a position to breed responsibly. More the time to arm myself with knowledge!

·
Registered
23 Posts
ive only had my hedgehog for a week and was surprised to see yesterday when i lifted her igloo that there were 6 new hoglets! im scared that i frightened her and that she would eat them. i had no idea! Yesterday and this morning i heard faint squeaking but i havent heard anything since and the mom is barely eating. should i be concerned that she ate them? how long do hoglets squeak for? help please

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Sarah,

I'd start a new topic on this for help cause this one is super old! Nikki and Nancy are usually the go-to's for baby advice, and they always seem to give the link to this thread as a place to start!

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/24-breeding-babies-help/6160-emergency-baby-advice.html

I think they always advise too to leave them alone except to change food and water, so I'd stay away for now and don't check anymore!
okay thank you! yeah ive only looked the once when i didnt even know they were there! im going to give them about 5 more days before i check. im just so worried! thanks though!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Read the main post of the emergency baby thread and start your own topic, put HELP in the topic with unexpected babies and people can better help you out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts