Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Alabama, where the heat in the summer is somewhat equivalent to the 7th layer of ****, and you practically drown when you walk outside because the humidity is so ridiculous.
So- right now the weather is warming up quickly, and my hedgie's cage is about 75-77F, and I still have the heating pad on. The room she is in is the warmest in the house, so it'll get hot this summer. Well she need the heating pad during the summer? Do hedgies overheat easily?
Basically- how hot is too hot??? Also, how do you tell if a hedgie may be overheating? And,
what about outdoor playtime in the heat?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You don't want them to be too much over 80 degrees because they can go into a less dangerous, but still not good version of hibernation. It has a name, but I don't remember what it is. But it's not something you want to have happen if you can avoid it. She won't need the heating during the summer unless you have an abnormally cold day. I'm not exactly sure what methods to use to keep the room cool, though, without chilling her. I've been hoping to get more clarification on that, too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
some hedgehogs can enter aestivation (the form of hibernation mentioned above) as low as 78*F.

Most hedgehogs may aestivate at above 80*F

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I believe the symptoms are similar to those of hibernation, but I'm not sure. Have to wait and see what someone else says, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts