Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far should a hedgie vet be from your home?
I found one just about 35 minutes from my home... is that too long or okay? It's the closest one I've found to my home that treats hedgies.
Now, if only that one 5 minutes away from my house treated hedgies...
hr

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
35 minutes is a /great/ distance to go for a vet, I think. There's several people on here that have to travel a couple of hours to get to their vet. Mine is about 45 minutes away from my house.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
35 is fine. I would recommend also learning where the emergency animal clinic is in your area in case of a weekend/overnight need.

I would also recommend bringing your hedgie in to the vet for a 'meet & greet' prior to needing the vet. This is an opportunity for the vet & hedgie to meet but also for you to meet the hedgie. I went through two vets who I did not have confidence in before settling on the third who I love. The first vet 'treated' hedgehogs - but I swear he seemed scared to touch Sylvie. The second was really great & willing to learn & work with us, but didn't have much previous experience. The third treats tons of exotics & while sometimes he technicians don't seem to be sure of themselves (I'm always in the room, & if they're unsure they get the vet), the vet always does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts