Hedgehog Central banner

How do I treat mites without going to the vet?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Yukidama's mama 
#1 ·
I've only had Weiss for a month or so. Last week I noticed he was shedding quills and his skin was dry. I was told he was about 3 months old so I figured maybe he was quilling. But yesterday, I saw he had little wounds on his face and bottom. I realized he has mites. I live in Indonesia, so I can't find anywhere that treats hedghogs. Is there any way I can treat him without going to the vet?

#3 ·
thanks! I managed to get revolution and a syringe, and i found the dosage on one of the other threads, but he does have open sores and one on his back that was pretty bad. is there any known antibiotics i can treat him with? also, can I put revolution on other affected areas like his butt or legs?

#4 ·
revolution is best placed behind their ears. and for open wounds- i'm unsure. all i can think of is a vet because if your hedge gets an infection in their blood stream that's bad news. if there's absolutely know way for a vet.. just make sure the sores are kept clean with water and keep an eye on them
to be sure they're healing correctly

#5 ·
Would a regular vet not even see him, you should try call and ask them so they can prescribe antibiotics for his skin sores (explain his situation, as I'm sure any vet would be able to try treat him).
Also try asking the breeder/store where you bought him from which vets they use, since they must use one? Hope his condition improves soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.