Hedgehog Central banner

how can i build my own cage?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  LizardGirl 
#1 ·
okay ppls, im trying to convince my parents to get me a hedgehog, but they think it might be too expensive, and im trying to cut them some slack. so, i need ideas on how do build my own. and yes, i have seen the one on here with the rubbermaid tubs, but i want to make one with like a loft in the inside and stuff. so if you could just post some decently elaborate instructions, and maybe a picture or two, of how you built your hedgies crib, i would LOVE LOVE LOVE you!! i NEED this. my parents arent willing to spend $100 or above on a cage, but i still want mine to be really cool. please and thatnk you!!

#2 ·
There are lots of ways you can make inexpensive cages: C&Cs, storage tubs (these are cheap and very fun), etc.

First though, ask your parents if they are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on vet care for a hedgie. You don't want to get one, if they won't pay for vet care, which is very expensive. Also, heating can be expensive if you are using something that uses a lot of energy (like my old space heater, lol). Hedgies aren't cheap and it wouldn't be good to get stuck with a wonderful pet that you aren't able to afford.

That out of the way, I would recommend reading the two stickies on cage setups in this thread. There are lots of great examples of cages there. :)

#3 ·
Are your parents going to be willing to have a heating appliance running 24/7 from Sept - May and possibly at times during the summer, especially if you use air conditioning. Regardless of what heating option you choose it will up the electricity bill plus you are going to have to add the cost of the heater into the cost of setting up the cage.

Typically, the cage and heating setup often costs more than the cost of the hedgehog.

#4 ·
yeah its not that i cant afford it, its just that i dont know what their limit on 'hedgie supplies' is. i mean if i got a hedgehog and i loved it and my family loved it and it was sweet and cute they would spend the money for a vet, because they arent totally heartless, and they would do it for something i truly loved. plus, are heaters really necessary? i have seen a whole lot of pics of cages without one, and i could always just keep the temp up in the house a few degrees, im sure no one would mind.

#5 ·
A supplemental heat source may or may not be a necessity. It isn't necessary if you can guarantee the room temperature will always be above 72 degrees F. Many years ago I had an apartment that was easy to heat and we just kept the temp up instead of using a supplemental heat source. That can be very expensive though, especially in today's times when natural gas and propane are expensive.

Otherwise, yes it is necessary. What type of heat source you use will depend on what your parents will allow. Many people are very hesitant to use space heaters but are fine with heat emitters.

You won't see a heat source in photos of my cages. I don't use emitters. I use an oil-filled radiator style space heater. It heats all the cages in the room, by keeping the entire room's temperature above 72.

#6 ·
Most hedgies need a constant temperature of 75-76F to be comfortable and happy.
Any lower than 70F (sometimes even 73F) can cause your hedgie to go into a fatal hibernation state in which they are unable to wake up from. Though it IS possible to catch it in time, and you can quickly warm your hedgie up, however, it does lower their immune system drastically each and every time.

I keep my entire apartment at 76F, so I don't use a heat lamp. When I am home at my mom's house, I use an oil filled space heater in my room where his cage is to keep the temperature at 76.

#7 ·
I've never built a cage so I don't have any first hand experience but when I was researching homemade cages I found a few sites that might be helpful to you.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/ these are meant for guinea pigs so for a hedgehog you would need to add a roof and make sure all levels are enclosed.

http://www.mihog.org/cages/index.phtml this one is actually meant for hedgehogs you can also search the forum for bin cages or storage tubs there are lots of tips but they are sort of spread all over the place.

Also about temperature. If you have central heating I wouldn't count on it to keep the room at the proper temperature. Some of the central heating systems (including all the ones in every house I've ever lived in) are unreliable or heat unevenly. Also the whole house would have to be set to the same temperature and some people might not want the room to be warm on a fall evening when it is starting to get too cold for the hedgehog. Talking about keeping the temperature high is one thing actually doing it is another. If you have a heating system that heats rooms separately (like base board heaters or radiators) then it might work. I wouldn't count on it though you should still budget for a heating system just in case.

#8 ·
Yes, heating is absolutely a necessity. Unless you are willing to keep your whole house 73*+ (which I highly doubt your parents are up for), you need to have a space heater, ceramic heat emitter, etc. Heat is extremely important for the above reasons. You don't see them in a lot of cage setups because some people use space heaters which are on the floor and heat the room. CHEs look like light bulbs and go in lamps, but produce no light. (Your hedgie will also need 12-14 hours of light a day, too)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.