Hedgehog Central banner

Housing potential?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  basmati 
#1 ·
Hubby & I are contemplating a hedgehog as a pet. Before making the big decision however, we're doing extensive research & also planning a trip to visit the closest breeders (still about 3.5 hrs drive away) just to see the hedgehogs up close & make absolutely certain before we get one.

So, like I said we've been doing a lot of research on hedgehogs; their needs, care, etc. And we've been looking into what type of housing we'd like to provide if we do make the leap. There are lots of options (I love some of the things you have shared here!) and then I stumbled across this...

It's a collapsible crate, solid bottom & about 20 3/4" L x 14" W x 10 1/2" H. Obviously, just one would be too small, but I've been thinking I could work something out with multiples - removing sides & attaching two to four side by side, maybe putting another on top of one & cutting a hole for a tube to lead up to it, etc. Adding a screen top as necessary. I like that it's colorful & there are plenty of holes but they aren't very big. But are the holes too close to the bottom?

So I thought I'd consult you experts to see if you think the crates are a feasible option?

We're thinking we'd probably invest in a ceramic lamp heater with attached thermal control to make sure the housing stays a good temp. We're leaning away from the vellux liners & more toward shavings (kiln dried pine or aspen) or the fluffy-type bedding. (Though we'd like to attempt having a special section of his home dedicated to his messy business if he's cooperative & then flannels might be an option for the rest of his place.)

Are we on the right track so far?

See less See more
#3 ·
I think the hedgie would climb that, also you would need more then one, one would not be large enough.
Both of these are mentioned in ladysaotome's post...

I think you would probably have a hard time taking appart and reassembling multiple crates together. If you are going for colorful, drpepperheather has an awesome cage with colorful siding, or maybe you'd be interested in a multiple sterilite tub cage. I guess the main concern is, if you can put it together safely.

Also, because hedgie would likely climb the sides, make sure that the edges of cut plastic (where each hole is) are not sharp. They could easily cut feet, as well as a leg fall through and potentially get caught.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.