Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the comparison was in prices between a wheel bought at the petshop and making your own homemade wheel.. I'd like to go buy one at the petshop right now but if it costs less to make one then I wouldn't mind waiting til I get the material to make one. I love homemade stuff! So is more or less convenient to make one yourself?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Me and my gf are actually in the car at the moment on our way to play it again sports for roller blade wheels and bearings for three more buckets wheels I'm making today for all the babies. They sell used wheels for a buck a piece and sometimes have used bearings as well if ur lucky. Those plus all of the PVC pipe, hardware, and the bucket is a bout 15 or 20 bucks and are faaar supirior to all of the store bought wheels IMO (we tried them all) Soo much easier to clean and virtually silent. Here's a pic of mine and a link to the DIY guide I used. I had to tweak the measurments a bit of the pieces in the back so it was closer to the ground, just a heads up.

And here's the DIY link

http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content/view/128/42/

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Making your own wheel is a great idea. They don't cost too much to make, considering how much better suited for hedgies they are. Commercial wheels just don't hold up very well and can be dangerous. You can buy a homemade wheel from several members on this site, like LarryT, IowaMisty, and Reaper (though his site is down and a lot of people had problems ordering- you can lookin the "For Sale" section of the forums for threads on different sellers).

I personally recommend buying or building a homemade wheel out of a bucket or cake container top, even if it costs more to do so than buying a crummy Silent Spinner or something.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If you decide to make your own wheel, buying a cake carrier eliminates the need of cutting the bucket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.. I think making my own bucket would be worth it even if it did cost more than buying one at the pet store - it looks so fun to do! I cant wait to make a bunch of stuff for my hedgie :p I'm about to start working on a sleeping bag.. unfortunately I have to cut up my fleece poncho for that but its for Quillma so I guess its okay haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts