Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I made a cozy little tent for my hedgehog, and he seems to love it!

All I did was have 2 layers for each side, and stuff fleece strips in between the layers for extra insulation (the bottom part got extra fleece strips to make it extra comfy!). Then I sewed the 2 layers together (with the strips inside), one side at a time, and then sewed the sides onto the bottom part. It actually didn't take too long to make and Pepper loves it! :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That sounds cool! Do you have any pictures? I made my hedgehog a stuffed pillow out of some old jeans and scraps of liners. I'm not a sewer though so ittook me a long time.

Oops now I see that you did put a picture up it just didn't load before.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a sewer either, so it took me a little while to get the sewing machine to work the way I wanted it to :lol: but once I got the hang of it, it was quite easy to make. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ohhhh, that looks really comfy!

I wish I was good at sewing. I have a machine but I haven't even ever used it... :( I am just so bad with any crafts involving needles...

I used etsy.com alchemy section to commission a couple of custom beds for our little girl though... I found fabric that matched her snuggle sack (zebra inside, corduroy outside) as well as some brown suede stuff - and I had 3 bids on the project overnight. :) I couldn't decide which one to accept, so I accepted 2 of them. :lol: I guess I'm going to end up with plenty of extra beds if Eva ends up having hoglets, lol. I haven't heard back from one of em yet, but the other lady ended up making me two beds because there was so much fabric. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
To make a tent like this or mine ( see other threads ^^ ) you don't have to get a sewing machine, i made mine completely by hand! I took it from a website which is in the thread i posted in <<Tent i made for my Hedgie>>, took me about.. 5-6 hours (i'm slow yes) i learned how to sew in the same evening i decided to make the tent so.. Nothing's impossible ! :p
Seeing this way of making a tent makes me think i could improve mine so great job chic47 ^^

·
Registered
132 Posts
you should post a "how to" here. I would LOVE to make on of those :D

Actually, I was wondering what I should give Pindsvin for his birthday. I made him all new liners for his cage for Christmas because his original ones were solid colors and just got boring looking to me. He didn't take to a plastic Igloo house,and doesn't use sleeping bags either, so I just put some large square fleece pieces for "blankets" and he likes that. I think he likes having "head room", and the sleeping bags and Igloo are very enclosed. Actually, I am not sure what I'm saying by this, but I mean is that maybe he'd like a tent over what I've already tried because Pindsvin is just who he is :p

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
1. I'm glad you revived this thread because that is a totally different style of tent, and pretty cool looking.

2. If you look at the post-dates, you'll see this conversation was last active in 2009. That means it's unlikely r_k_chic47 or hedgielover are still active on the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh wow, didn't notice that!! Thanks annie ^^
Chihirolee, you should take a look at this website http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-sew-a-small-animal-tent which gives you a good idea of how to ^^ you can decide which one you wanna make but the tipi like model one looks easier to make :p it seems she put the poles inside the corner of the tent. But both of them looks really nice ! Happy sewing ! ^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts