Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of poeple have had some problems with making there own or buying on ebay with to glue them or not to glue them. I know some people say that if glue'd if water get's in there it will start to mold. I have my own methoud for the base. I find that PVC piping is a good idea for a base but if not glued it fall's apart. I personally made my own out of PVC using glue and didnt like it i didnt like how it looked or how un sturdy it felt. I followed this same methode and imitated there's http://hedgehogsbyvickie.com/whisperwheels.htm it was easy to make alot more sturdy and looked better IMHO and all for about the same price.

For the people saying that if you do glue the PVC together and water get's in it will mold. this shouldnt happen as long as you use a PVC Cleaner and Cement. The Cements bond's the plastics together forming an air and water tight seal Same thing used in plumbing. But if you dont clean it with the PVC cleaner there is a possablity that it wont hold a bond. I also would let it air dry for at least a week, The PVC Cleaner has a really strong glue sent. I work with it for a living and somtime's i have to use a resporator it can be that bad. You may or may not have to glue the PVC together depending on how tight the PVC fits together. Some time's it will fight together nicely other time's it wont it all depends and it has nothing to do with the size of the PVC you use.

·
Registered
475 Posts
schlarmanm1 said:
For the people saying that if you do glue the PVC together and water get's in it will mold. this shouldnt happen as long as you use a PVC Cleaner and Cement. The Cements bond's the plastics together forming an air and water tight seal Same thing used in plumbing.
This is the same thing my hubby said, about the wheel I received. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
You can never make it totally watertight as there is a hole through the upright pipe that the bolt goes through to hold the wheel on. Water can get in there.

Also, gluing it all together means it is no longer angle adjustable which is something the wheels need to be as what is level for a small hedgehog, will be a downward angle for a hefty one. Gluing together also means you can't easily take the wheel off the base to clean.

I have never glued any of my wheels and never have a problem that can't be easily fixed with a bit of electrical tape over the ends of the pipe as it's put together. Of the probably 60 buckets wheels our guys have, I had the sagging wheel problem with maybe 5 of them and I'm willing to bet they were all from one batch of fittings I got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts