Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little worried because I know hedgehogs can get stressed due to things like environment changes. For the holidays, me and hedgedaddy have been visiting both my family and his family, and are visiting other family members next week. Of course, Rocko is coming along with us. He seems to be okay, we're keeping his temperature constant and he has his whole cage setup so he feels like he's at home, but I'm afraid all the switching locations and the car rides (anywhere from one to three hours long) will take a toll on his health.

Is there anything I can do to keep him healthy during this season of travel?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Water is very important. Take water from home with you so he doesn't get an upset tummy.

It's important to keep as much the same as possible, so don't change any food or give too many treats while you're there. Also, try to keep some things smelling the same. IE don't wash the hidey house and liners all at the same time so nothing smells familiar.

One thing to watch out for is scents. If anyone smokes in the household or they're very fond of highly scented air fresheners, try taking an air purifier to keep in the room with him and ask any smokers to not smoke in the area he's in as well as remove any air fresheners in the area.

The worst worry is carsickness. If he travels well, then that's great! If he doesn't, be sure to change the liners in the carrier and keep him comfortable. If he gets green poops, you can give a pinch of human acidophilus powder on his kibble--it comes in capsules from the pharmacy. This helps balance the GI tract.

He should be fine. Just keep as much the same as possible. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sylvie has traveled a number of times, including a 4 hour drive. One thing I notice with her though, while the car ride is fine, if I'm carrying her in the carrier (ie. walking around a pet store) she'll get a bit upset & tell me by pooping a bunch in the crate. I lie some paper towel down in the carrier to help clean up the mess

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. :D He actually travels very well in the car. No carsickness that I've seen so far. Everything is looking normal so it's easing my worries.. Poop is fine, activity level is fine, and he's eating normally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts