Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boys, myself, and my husband took a 14 hour trip (each way) to my parent's house for Thanksgiving (ok, it took 16 hours to get back..). Ivan, our rescue, has been using his shiny new litter box.. but the poop on his wheel is greenish. Sebastian, who's using his shiny new wheel my father made for him (it's a blue bucket wheel), has good poop, but his pee is drying (at least I hope it's drying) a little chunky. He doesn't pee chunky (trust me, my jeans will tell you as much). And Damian isn't pooping at all. I'm lucky if there's one or two pieces in his cage.

Now I'm thinking there's a few factors that could be affecting this (please correct me if I'm wrong).
- The non-African climate in my indoor place of residence. Especially now that it's December (already! :shock: ) [Don't get me wrong, it's a comfy 73F (everyone pancakes if it gets any warmer, trust me, I've tried to bump the heat up)]
-The fact that they were "sleeping" in a bumpy car, although very near the African climate, for 14+ hours (my husband's stomach is still upset from that one too).
-The new litter box for Ivan and the new wheel for Sebastian.
-Damian has had pooping (or lack there of) problems before. I gave him some flax seed oil and that did wonders for him on the first try.

I gave them all some flax seed oil last night, and: Sebastian still pooped up a storm, I got 3 pieces out of Damian, and you already know about the green-ness of Ivan's poop. That being said, everyone is very active and very normal and very happy. So, based on my walking myself through the recent activities of the past 2 weeks, I can only come to the conclusion that our hedgie tummies are sad. Is there such a thing as Pepto for hedgehogs? I still have some of the "cure-all (theoretically)" antibiotic the vet gave me for Sebastian's runny nose (it's still within the expiration)-- can I give them a drop of that? Any ideas now that I've totally grossed you out :? ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
You might want to give a little bit of unseasoned canned pumpkin, or a little bit of plain yogurt. Both of these can help with upset tummies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.