Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting my hedgehog in a few days and am setting up the cage for his arrival. I feel a bit confused on the lack of options for hiding places and was wondering what most people use? I found a sort of mini hut/crate sort of thing that looks super cozy, but idk because it is fuzzy on the inside and i'm afraid the fuzz may come out a bit and cause problems. Also if anyone has any ideas for a DIY hiding place thatd be cool, I'm a new user and am trying to figure out how to post pics. Thanks! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't think the fuzz is a problem, as long as it is short enough if a string fell out and it got tangled around their leg or toes it couldn't harm them.

Many people use the large sized igloos, and most people have snuggle sacks. I would just say a dark area for them to hide, and preferably something for them to snuggle into.

Since it is helpful for bonding to put a shirt in their cage, I put my shirt in their hiding house so they could sleep in it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My hedgies each have an igloo that they like to sleep in. I also have these pieces of wood that are stuck together that I can bend into a little house that they can also hide in- I have no idea what that toy is called. They also each have their own blanket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My little one alternates lol he is snuggled up in my shirt in the morning, then later goes in his igloo which has fleece strips in, while he is on my lap I use a cozy sack!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Charlie just has a pillow case full of fleece and her cupcake toy, since she hated her igloo. And a Pringles tube, those are her favorite inside her cage. Outside her cage she's taken a liking to an oven mitt which you can modify pretty easily, I'd just cut the thumb off so they don't get stuck. She also reeeally loved this makeup bag I had so I cut off the zipper and stuffed it with fleece strips, the issue with that is with dollar store makeup bags sometimes they have sharp seams inside and weird rubber coating so you really have to look at the quality and material. I've heard of people using PVC pipes, shoe boxes, tissue boxes. The longer you live with a hedgehog the more crazy ideas you get to entertain them lol

·
Registered
658 Posts
The only thing about the fuzz - if it's able to "shed" fuzz frequently, I would be careful about the fizz getting stuck on your hedgie's feet, especially after using his wheel. I made the mistake of not getting anti-pill fleece once, and I noticed fleece little fuzzies on my girl's feet every morning, because she would poo/pee on her wheel and then run around her cage. I was worried since it could get stuck between their little toes, so I gave her a lot of foot baths.

Just something to watch out for, you could definitely still use that hideout, just keep a lookout for fuzzies on your baby and remove them as needed.

You could also look on Etsy for some DIY hideout ideas. I think most people either use igloos, cozy sacks, cut up fleece and blankets, or some combo of those things for their hedgie's hideouts. Your hedgie's preferences about where he wants to sleep could change, so it's nice to provide them with a lot of options.

·
Registered
944 Posts
My girl sleeps in a ferret igloo. She used to have one of those plastic igloos but she kept sleeping in her dig box (a tissue box with fleece strips), so I knew I had to find some place better. It has a removable bottom for washing (and getting her up!)

It is very similar to the one Emma and Mochi had in the picture, but it only has one entrance and it is not made to hang. I put fleece blankies in there for her and she's constantly re-arranging them. Sometimes she sleeps under them, sometimes on top and sometimes blocks the entrance with them.

Silly hedgies. They definitely have their own ideas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts