Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked on my little one as usual this morning and found a clean wheel... which concerned me. Then I looked at her dishes and there was plenty of kibble left... more worry. I reach under her blanket and no huff... there's usually a light huff, but nothing... oh no! She's in a quilly ball. She wiggles a bit, but stays in her ball. Eventually unrolls in my hands and isn't cold per se... more like luke-warm. As I have her out, she wobbles a bit and cuddles back into her quill ball. Looks like hibernation attempt to me.

She's warmed up now, more active, rustling about and hedgiedaddy is going to re-check her again soon. We upped her themostat a little and put in snugglesafes at both ends of her house.

Problem is, I can't figure out what caused it, so I don't know how to prevent it. I'm hoping HHC's collective wisdom can help me figure it out.

Here's her set-up:
She's in a Tommy Marchioro 120 (plastic bottom, wire-top) that's on a table on the inside wall of my house. Her thermostat is set at ~75/76F and thermometer (separate from the thermostat) shows that temp is ~75/76F with only minor variations that one would expect from a thermostat & CHE system. There's no draft in the room that I can detect (We have radiator heating through the house... no forced air. Though there is a window about 3' to the left of her house). Even if there was a draft, her house has a fleece over the top and sides (with cut outs to accommodate the door & CHE lamps on top, 2 doors on the front, and on the side away from the house window for added ventilation). She has a light on a timer that goes on a bit before 8am; off a bit after 9pm.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm still new at this. The only thing I was wondering, you mention she has a fleece cover and a light. So the light is under or over the fleece cover? Mine aren't covered so when the light is on its bright.

I have my light on from 6 a.m. until about 10 p.m. sometimes 9 p.m. at the earliest.

I look forward to reading other's responses as well.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question... the fleece doesn't cover the light. Aside from normal room lighting, she has her very own lamp that sits on top of her house just like the ceramic heat emitters. That's the one that's on the timer.

·
Administrator
3,594 Posts
My initial thought was how cold is the bottom of her cage. Is she sleeping near the plastic (burrowing under her liner)? Is her cage on the floor? If her cage is on the floor it could be the cage floor itself is getting a little cool. You may want to try putting a thick blanket under her cage to insulate if you think it could be a possibility.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is a burrower who's taken to taco-ing in her liner the past few months; ie, wrapping it over and under herself. But she was back on the plastic this morning though... so that could be it.

Her cage is on a table with a fabric table runner underneath, but the runner doesn't push up against the bottom of the plastic. Perhaps a decrease in the ambient room temp including the little space between the table top and her home was enough to cause a problem. I'll aim for something thicker like a blanket between the table and her cage bottom.

·
Administrator
3,594 Posts
What did their mother teach them! Her sister goes into these burrowing fits too and does the taco thing. I've had a problem with her getting a cooler than I like tummy when she would burrow under and sleep on her sterilite tub bottom. The thick blanket underneath did seem to help. Hopefully it is just the plastic making her get chilled.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kalandra said:
What did their mother teach them!
Hahahaha... I should email LLH ;)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If you have a light on top of her cage and then turn that light off at night, just that bit of a decrease in the heat that the light produces might be it. The thermostat should compensate but possible there is a difference. In my now half the size of the old hedgie room, I have to turn their heater up 1 degree when I turn the light off or else the room is a degree cooler.

She may also may have become slightly more temperature sensitive. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm... interesting idea about the light. It's a compact fluorescent bulb... but maybe? I'll check it out tonight.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
repeated hibernation attempt - what am I missing?

Since December, we've made some changes: added a blanket under Satin's cage, put up thermal window curtains in her room (though the temp in there is pretty good as is), upped her thermostat from ~75/76F to ~77/78F, double checked any discrepancies when the light goes off (thermostat does maintain the temperature well once her light is off), added a little more light - turns on at 7:30a instead of 7:45a; off around 9:30p instead of 9:15p, and she's been doing better with staying in between her fleece layers and not curling up with her the thermostat probe.

Still, yesterday morning, I come down and see a perfectly clean wheel and she's a chilly quilly ball. Thermometer looks like it's in the right range. She was fine for a few weeks in a row and okay this morning.

She seems happy and healthy otherwise.

Not really sure what's going on here. I'm down to upping her cage temp to 80F and trying to figure out if a different lightbulb - those marked to reptile owners - would be an improvement.

Any more ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What about a draft? You can block sides of the cage using heavy clear plastic. You could try a brighter light bulb. It shouldn't need to be a reptile one. Maybe a heating pad under her cage. I've had a couple that needed a warm room plus the heating pad.

What is the weather outside doing when she is cold? With some, even a degree or two drop in temperature can trigger a hibernation attempt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A really cold snap hit Alabama, coldest it's been in 20 years or so, and I had the room at it's usual 74-75 and my hedgie was cool like that two nights in a row. A hibernation attempt, I think. But she started to lose her appetite, less wheeling, and began to get a runny nose. So we went to the vet, she's on antibiotics, and the temp doesn't go below 76, if even. Normally she thrives in 75. I don't know if that cold snap made a difference or not, but that's when it happened. Try making it warmer than usual.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Maybe it is the light during the day. If you're switching light bulbs you could try a full spectrum bulb, (I believe that's what it's called) it gives natural white light. Somehow make sure the temp. doesn't fluctuate during the night when you're not keeping an eye on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts