Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm Lily and new to hedgehogs. I'm getting one this weekend and am a bit nervous, but excited. Is there any good tips to warm my hedgehog up to me, just in case she decides to be grouchy? hedgies.jpg This is the girl on the left, taken by the breeder. hedgie.jpg

·
Registered
685 Posts
What a cutie!!!

Sleep in an old t shirt or with a piece of fabric of some sort for like 2 or 3 days. Make sure you don't have any strong perfumes on you. You just want the scent in the t-shirt to be your own scent. When your new hedgie arrives, put the t shirt in the cage with her. This will allow her to know your scent. Since she will most likely sleep in the fabric, she will associate your smell with comfort. That trick really worked for me!

If you don't have a snuggle sack or something similar definitely get one! My hedgie loves hers. For the first few nights when you take her out, allow her to relax and sleep in the snuggle sack. Place the snuggle sack on your lap or anywhere near you. Just watch tv or something while your hedgie is sleeping on you. This will allow your hedgie to feel safe and comfortable while also being able to smell you, hear you, and feel your movements. Again she will begin to associate these things with comfort.

Just be REALLY patient with her because she will most likely be very grumpy toward you. It doesn't mean she hates you, it just means she is scared. Little by little she will get to know you and hopefully relax!!

Good luck with your New hedgie!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts