Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Ive been lurking this forum for a few months now. Figured id say hello and introduce myself. My name is lisa. Im 23(24 in a few months..). I know from reading this forum that the way I got my hedgie wasnt the best way. I had been talking about getting a hedgehog for quite some time. My ex-roommate even had one. But he never did HALF of what your sopsto with a hedgie. He didnt have a CHE or feed it the correct food. I never thought about that until i started to research hedgehogs...My roommate would leave town for a few days and id feel sorry for Becks and go in and give her some food and water and such. She never really liked to be held, or touched or anything.
But enough about Becks and onto my peno. Peno was purchased(gasp) from a petstore in Brandon florida. I spent some time with her that day. There wasnt a heater, or a wheel. Just another hedgehog in there with her. If i could change the way i went about getting peno I would..If i ever want another hedgehog i would NOT go back there, because of so many things they didnt have the for the hedgehogs. Also they sex'ed her wrong. Said she was male..turns out "its" a female. The only good thing about peno is maybe because she was white(the other looked to be a salt and pepper, or a black and white color) people held her more. She NEVER balls up, but she hates to be held. All she wants is to be down on the ground running around. Im working on making a cake wheel for her, but I cant seem to find a roller skate wheel with the bearing. Ive also looked into a shower/sliding glass door wheel, but they dont have the bearings either at lowes. Any other ideas would help. Well thanks for reading my into..Hope to see everyone out and about on the forums!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Welcome! :mrgreen:
I'm sorry I can't help with the wheel info too much, but maybe you could get a roller blade from a local thrift shop, take out one of the wheels, and disinfect it really well? They also sell wheels for skates at sporting goods stores.
The pics are so cute, especially the first one, looks like he's winking at you! ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
My first 3 hedgehogs were from pet stores, too. *Hangs head shamefully.* The good news is that I, like you, did a ton of research before getting them and they have happy lives with me.

We are working on cake wheels at my house, too. My husband used a garage door part on an old bucket wheel he made--he used to work at Lowe's and he's pretty good about finding and repurposing stuff like that! Maybe if you go to Lowe's again, you can ask for the bearing that goes with a garage door? I wish I knew where that old wheel was so I could take a picture...

Thanks for sharing pictures of your cute girl!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you've been looking for a roller "skate" wheel, that might be the problem, what you want to use for the home-made bucket wheel is a roller "blade" wheel. Not sure if the have "Play it again sports" out there in Florida but that's where I got mine. they sell them individually, used or new. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SilverQuill said:
If you've been looking for a roller "skate" wheel, that might be the problem, what you want to use for the home-made bucket wheel is a roller "blade" wheel. Not sure if the have "Play it again sports" out there in Florida but that's where I got mine. they sell them individually, used or new. Good luck ;)
Thats where I went, but they dont sell the bearing inside it..they do with a pack of like 10 thats 30 bucks..they sell just the roller blade wheel..but i was under the impression i need the bearing too...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a quick (possibly serious) question - how long have you had your hedgie? I'm wondering because you say she was housed with another hedgie. If they sexed her wrong, the other could have easily been a male (regardless of what they thought 'it' was). If this is the case - you may have a pregnant hedgie & should start getting ready for babies. I don't know much about breeding so don't know the gestation time, but you can look through the threads here. If you've had her less than the gestation time, forget the wheel for the time & focus on getting ready for possible babies, at least until the xx amount of days are up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, from another "newbie"! Your hedgie is really cute! Is she albino? I used to have an albino hedgehog a few years ago... she was really sweet and never laid down her forehead quils. :)

Nice to meet ya! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got her a few days before christmas, so the 35 day period has passed...She isnt fat or anything either. I also worried about that when i first got her...

Yes Peno is albino..red eyes, white quills. She does have a few brown spots on some of the quills, but she hasnt quilled with me yet, nor do i ever find any quils in her liner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aww awesome..Im not in brandon, but im a good drive from brandon. Were you the one who got him off of craigslist or? Ive seen many hedgies put on craigslist. This weekend at USF they are having their reptile show. They will have hedgehogs!!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Do you guys have a store called Academy there? Thats where I was able to pick up a two pack of rollerblade wheels. Also you can order them in to your local Walmart from online :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts