Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I joyned HC some days ago, hoping to find out more about the little ones that are occupying my garden. I have about 10 headgehogs that I started selling last year since they were so happy to give us babies. They live in my father's shack, where he deposites everything he doenst really need. They live kind of wild, but got used to us/me handling them.

I dont know much about them and havent managed to find a lot of info :cry: . I did read some of the info all of you posted up here, but need to look into it more :roll:

I created a blog for them last year, hope you will like what you will find there http://justgoldengirl.blogspot.com/

Hugs,
Rely :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome!

I didn't know it was legal to sell European hedgies, since they are protected? Interesting. All the threads here are about African hedgehogs which are a lot different, but I hope we can still be of use to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that you guys have only African hedgies around here, but thought I could give it a try :)

Well.... it's not illegal to sell them... Since there is no law against, I suppose I'm not breaking any :) and to tell the truth, there are many who want to have at least one in the garden.
Since I had more than I ever thought I could have, posted up an add online... This got me giving interviews to some national newspapers so... ended up a celebrity over here lol

I was wondering even if I could have an African and an European mix. I so love the African ones, but.... havent heard of any around here (in Romania) :( Maybe you guys know something I dont?!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I highly doubt you could have a european/african hybrid, they are far too different. I believe that hybrids of different closely-related african species are possible though, and that's what I think our pets here are.

Are you able to travel into a neighboring country and bring back and african one with you? There are a few breeders spread around europe, though I have a feeling that maybe 10% actually know what they are doing and care for their hedgies properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does depend on how far I got to travel.... Right now impossile though... but who knows, maybe there it could be a way :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :D
Your pictures and blog are great!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Those pictures are so cute!

Now they make me curious... are you selling them as pets? Or outdoor garden helpers only? They look super friendly from the attention, wouldn't that make them more likely to be harmed in the wild from being docile? Or maybe that doesn't affect them at all... just wondering. :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Morning to everyone :) (it's 10 am here)

You got me smiling now... Didnt think my silly blog might get that attention. Thanks for the nice words :oops: and for liking my photos (this was the best part of all :D )
I should upload some more pics, but watermarking them made me a bit too slow lol I actually got some neat pics where the little babies can be seen in their nest (or how it's called :oops:) You will love those for sure ;)

The selling part started last year, since we started to overcrowd the garden. Over here they are still kind of wild, even though they can be found in parks, but one has to be really careful to see them running around, they must just a few by now...

Considering that I have them in the garden, living kind of wild still, I do recommend the same, but there are a few that are kind of interested in having a hedgie in the apartment... I was actually willing to experiment and sell/give one and see the feedbacks. A little one might be able to get used living in the house, but still, I do doubt that. Considering the hibernating period... I think it would be kind of difficult for the little one. What do you think?!
Strangely, the ones that I have are no longer frightened by us, even though some might run of in an instant, others do like being held and petted. I do use gloves though, the babies that I got last year liked to bite on my hands each time they could so… to avoid surprises, turned back to handling them with gloves.

I do think that since they are kind of tamed, they might be hurt if turned back to their normal way of life, this being the major reason I started selling them. You would be surprised how many called/emailed me to buy them and care for them. I was shocked. If I keep selling, there will be no business (that’s what the newspapers wrote about me lol)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I always love hedgie pictures, the more the better :) As for keeping them in the garden I may be wrong but it seems like to me as long as they still know to stay away from other animals it seems like they would be okay. The only other thing I could think of that would harm them beside another animal is if they were all of a sudden not given the food they are used to getting but Im sure that doesn't happen.

I do love the pictures and they seem like they are being treated really great. I wish there was wild hedgies over here because it would be awesome to see them in the yard :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bet you would be interested to know that I have a dog, Nero, loved to carry them around when first saw them. One morning my father found him with a little one on his right. We suspect they were sleeping tougher or something like that anyways lol
Now he got used to seeing them moving around in the garden, but he gets jealous if they are in the yard, on his territory and someone wants to pick them up. Then he rushes over, and makes sure he's got it in his mouth. He is silly, cause he is the one bleeding, the little one turns into a ball and it's safe :)
He so loves to sit at the fence and see them walking around in the garden. I should take some pics of that. He is so funny. I think he will miss them so much if I wont have them anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

I found an interesting site about my little hegies and thought there might be someone interested in it over here too, so here it is.... http://www.pro-igel.de/index-engl.html ;)

I got some sad news... I dont know the reason why, but I lost 3 of my darling hegies last week. The vet told me that they might be poisoned when he saw the 2nd one, bearly being able to fight for his life. I dont know what to think right now, but it's a sad situation... I just hope the rest are ok after giving them some medicine... :( :cry:

btw.... Reading on the site that I copied over, I gave them scrambled eggs last night. I think they loved it, cause there was nothing left this morning :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know.... Especially since I couldnt do a thing, just watch them suffer... That was the crulest of all... :cry: :cry: :cry:
All I can do now is hope the rest are healthy and will be happy and bring some cute little ones out soon :) although.... I'm not too sure about this at the moment...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts