Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ender's back nails got a little out of hand (ha!) on me. He's pretty good about not curling up when I try to do the nail thing, but he does get very wiggly and starts to poop on me after awhile. This is not normal "lets poop on the human" either. It's nasty. I got tired of stressing him out so I made a vet appointment.

A normal nail trim for a hedgie there is $15. They did have to sedate him for a few minutes, that's another $15. That's a total of $30. Totally worth it to me to get his nails back to a normal level so we can start from scratch.

The guy I normally see wasn't there. He had a suggestion when I brought Calvin in 10 days ago. You buy a top to an aquarium, the ones with the wire mesh with kinda big holes. When hedgie walks on it, the nails stick down and you can trim. If he's really active you can tilt it. He'll grab on and you can swoop in and trim. It actually worked too. The wire is coated and didn't seem to bother his feet. I only had him on for about a minute, got a few nails, and then let him off. I'll probably use it when I can't get to his back feet.

Funny story. They didn't realize I had two critters and had the wrong chart. The poor vet was trying every scale in the back trying to figure how Ender had gained 400g in 10 days. Too funny. Should I admit he weights 625g at almost 9 months?

·
Registered
902 Posts
huh! Odd trick.

For some reason it sets me uneasy, I'll stick to the bath technique. I'm too clumsy to attempt that one, would need my daughter to help me I think. I'm curious as to whether anyone else has done it this way.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ya, it makes me uneasy as well...As I would worry about the "what ifs"... like... "what if for some reason the nail actually got stuck between and couldn't pull out..." (the joys of paranoia about random freak accidents)

But.. If it works for you... How big are the wire slots? If they are on the smaller side, I would suggest rubbing some veggie oil over the wires first before you put him on it, just so it gives more lubrication for his nails to slide through and out again. Doesn't need a lot, just enough to make it so his nails can slide easily, without things getting messy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're big. Smaller than his foot so it won't go through, but big. We did some practice walks a few days before trying the trimming thing. I didn't want him to be too freaked out by the feel or the smell of it. Then I remembered it was Ender, he usualy could care less :)

I was a little doubtful when the vet told me about it, but went ahead and bought a small one. Anything to not stress Ender out too much.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 2#prodTab1

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That sounds like it could work really good :) I may have to try this and see if it makes it less stressful to mine, Ill try the oil idea just to be safe but I think this could work for mine :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts