Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had noticed Giz was scratching quite a bit, so I took her into the vet. All scrapings/tests came back negative. She told me to pick up some Humilac from Petco, but it's only available online.

I ordered some Humilac through Amazon (after checking to make sure it was alright to use) so it should be here by the end of the week (with Amazon, it's difficult to tell when you're going to get it-but I hope to have it by Wednesday).

Last night, I went to handle her and BOOM. Dead skin all over. She was pretty cranky, and I don't blame her for being so. She is still eating and drinking well; she just seems to be uncomfortable. :(

I've done a lot of reading on this forum (I don't want to do anything wrong!), and I am picking up a warm mist humidifier this afternoon.

I'm planning on giving her a bath this evening (oatmeal) and putting a few drops of flax in the rinse. I haven't fully bathed her since she was quilling (a little over 2 weeks ago). She's been getting flax seed oil pretty regularly. The winters here are just brutally dry (even though we have the world's largest lake right next to us), and I just want to make sure I'm prepared for when it gets even drier.

Is there anything else I can do to make her as comfortable as possible until the Humilac comes? She's on fleece liners already.

What are your experiences with hedgies in the low of humidity of winter?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel your pain, neighbor. I live in the mitten and we share pretty identical winters. Rosie Mae has dry skin too, so I put Vitamin E oil in her rinse (I find it more effective than flax). If Rosie is scratching a lot between baths, I'll put a few drops of E oil on my hands and run it over her quills to soothe her skin. Having a humidifier next to your baby's cage is a good idea, but make sure it isn't close enough to actually get any condensation in the cage. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts