Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New hedgie owner with tons of questions!

We just "adopted" a hedgie with not a ton of info on his history -- aside from that he is a male about 2 years old. We've had him only for a week. He's lost two quills in the past week (found them in the sleeping bag I made for him). Is this just stress related? Normal? I don't see any mites, but I can't say he relaxes enough for me to get in there and really look just yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
my guy has lost a quill here and there... no biggie. i think if it's a lot of quills is when it's an issue.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Quills are modified hairs, and they're dropped in small amounts throughout a hedgehog's life, the same as we lose hairs. A few here and there, even a few a day, is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe that hedgehogs normally lose up to five quills a day. Next time you see a quill check to see if it has a root or bulb attached if it does the quill was lost naturally. If it does not it may have been lost due to a parasite.
Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Christemo said:
Just wait until you start stepping on ones embedded in your carpet! :p
I hate that. The other night I was reaching for something on the floor and somehow managed to stab my finger with a random quill on the ground and even bled a little. :roll:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
cardiologineer said:
Christemo said:
Just wait until you start stepping on ones embedded in your carpet! :p
I hate that. The other night I was reaching for something on the floor and somehow managed to stab my finger with a random quill on the ground and even bled a little. :roll:
I got one between the nail and skin last night. I think that cloud of curses is floating over Montana right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts