Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:oops:
our hedgehog had two babies (we didnt know she was pregnant) between two to three months ago.
last week my boyfriend caught one of the babies mounting the mom and after a lot of trouble finally pulled him off.
what if he sucessfully bred with her?!?!! because who knows if .this happened before or after!
the babies now live at my house and we have seen them trying to mount each other (they must be males;we are going to sex them tomorrow) are they trying to establish dominance?

HELP!!! we are scared she is pregnant again because she is acting really grumpy.
what if the babies are all deformed and diseased etc etc:(

:cry:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would separate all three hedgehogs tonight, provided you have large enough and escape proof boxes to keep them in. You may have a male and a female, and he could be mating with his sister. Hedgehogs can be sexed much earlier than 2-3 months of age, and males should be removed from their mother at 6 weeks of age so they don't mate with their mother or sisters. So, if you do have one or two males, either of them could have mated with the mother and she could very well be pregnant again. Not sure what you should do in that case though, perhaps an experience breeder will have more/better suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah the babies have already been separated from the mom. the babies live at my house and the mom is at my boyfriends. but i will sex them asap when i get home tomorrow.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes, Mom could be pregnant. You need to separate the 2 babies. If 2 males, they could fight and injury each other. If male and female, you could end up with more babies. You can sex babies even as newborns.

·
Registered
372 Posts
rachelandkevin said:
what if the babies are all deformed and diseased etc etc:(
Inbreeding does not mean deformed and/or diseased offspring. What inbreeding does is double up on all the genes an animal carries, so if the animal carries the genetic code for WHS (example) then all the offspring of a mother/son mating will have WHS. Since she came pregnant from a pet store, most likely she was bred by her father or brother, so the offspring you have are already inbred one generation. Now the babies, if she's pregnant, will be inbred x2. You'll need to either keep the offspring or make sure that they are only rehomed with people who know how to care for hedgehogs and who are told up front that they are inbred.

It's very sad that you didn't care enough to find out the basic husbandry of owning a hedgehog. Sexing is basic, easy and should have been done at the proper age. I'm also appalled that you didn't realize that males and females will mate.

If you do indeed have two males, they cannot be kept together, but something tells me that you have a male and a female offspring and now the sister is most likely pregnant, too.

Count 35 days and be prepared. After they deliver, males will have to be separated out at 6 weeks AND males cannot live together. Females can live with Mom or they can live with their sisters.

Please spend some time learning how to properly care for them. If you've missed sexing them, you've most likely missed proper diet and habitat.

I wish them well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I usually keep my mouth shut on these things just because I think everyone on here argues enough between each other. But I don't think its necessary to make people feel bad every time they make a mistake. It's gotten to a point on this forum where if something ever did happen once I got a hedgehog, I would be hesitant about asking for help on here. People cannot post about any sort of problem without somebody eventually hinting that they think that the person is incompetent and shouldn't even own animals.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't some dumb and easily preventable mistakes made by people. I also read things and think "Are you for real? You couldn't have just read that thread a week ago and avoided this?" But I don't say that because I know that that won't fix anything. If you don't have anything helpful to say or even anything helpful to say without insults embedded into it, then why say anything?

And just in this specific case. Yeah, they really should have learned how to sex the babies and dealt with that as soon as it was possible. But I'm sure all the surprise that comes with unexpected babies probably didn't even allow that thought to enter their head. Between learning what to feed mom and babies, what ages to separate, and just the general panic of "Oh my god those are babies what am I supposed to do?!" glancing at their privates might have seemed like a small thing to a new hedgehog owner. That does not make them a bad pet owner or a bad person. It makes them human.

I'm sorry, I know this was long and probably gave me the bad reputation I was trying to avoid on here. I just think that people need to stop and give others a chance. We all make mistakes. I'm sure every single person on here who owns a hedgehog has made at least one mistake in the course of ownership that could have been prevented somehow. So cut others some slack when they do it too. Knowing all the right steps to take is hard with a pet when they can't tell you what they want or need. You just have to do your best and always try to keep learning. But I'm finding that learning without insults is getting harder and harder to do here.

I'm sorry and good luck.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I wish people would stop attacking others for their mistakes. We are here to help others with a problem first, then correct the mistake. Continuing to attack people will cause them to NOT seek out help from HHC.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Random semi related OT:

In a case like this, or any others, is there no way to "abort" the possible pregnancy? Considering you can't be 100% sure that she is pregnant or not. Or would the only real thing to do is to get her spayed now, rather than wait?

Unless proper homes can be provided for all the possible future babies, or knowledge given that they are inbred. So would spaying be an option? So not to risk it happening ever, and wouldn't have to deal with a possible new litter. I know it's possible to spay stray cats and "abort" at the same time(for obvious reasons), as we had to do that for some wild kitties at the barn(it was a real joy to try to catch them too XD).

IF it is possible, it would be something to think about, rather than taking on more complications while still learning and caring for the current litter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh dear what a sorry situation you have found yourself in.
Chances are that none of the hedgies will be pregnant,when i got my first hedgie at 8 weeks the males and females were all STILL together.And i've had some males as young as 4 weeks try to mount their mother.But she told them off :lol:
I can only echo what has already been said and wish you the best of luck on the outcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts