Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally found the perfect way to clip my hedgies nails. And I just felt like sharing it to all of you. The other night we were watching TV and I noticed my hedgie was licking the couch (new smell I suppose) and he started to anoint himself, I tried to push him away, but he was in a trance.
As he was anointing himself I was able to take his paws and clip his nails, no problem... ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I usually clip Turbos nails as soon as i get him out because it takes him a few minutes to realise he's been taken out his cage and to realise whats happening so he stays still as anything so im able to grab each of his feet and clip away. Then i give him a few mealworms and lots of cuddles and all of that nasty nail clipping is forgotten

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You're both very lucky. I cannot do that with Quigley. Once he was fast asleep on my lap and I was playing with his toes. I decided this would be a good time to clip his nails. I reached over the coffee table where the clippers were sitting and as soon as he noticed I had them he freaked out at me. (I guess he can smell them or something). The most I can do when he anoints is pet his belly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What do you do then hedgielover to cut his nails? I have to admit i'm very glad Turbo is relaxed about it all as i was worried sick the 1st time i clipped them. Although last week when i cut them i very nearly cut too close and he did a little wriggle and tried to nip my finger (first time ever) and i was shocked, obviously i understood but then he kept trying to nip me after the little devil. I think he mightve liked the taste of my nails aswel ha.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've yet to see Ender annointing so that's out for me. I do the surprise method too. I roll him out of his hedgie bag, slide my fingers (left hand) under him and lift him straight up. If he's still sleepy I can usually get to a foot or two before he starts flailing. We repeat that until he gets really really frisky and then he gets treats.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Pipkin said:
What do you do then hedgielover to cut his nails? I have to admit i'm very glad Turbo is relaxed about it all as i was worried sick the 1st time i clipped them. Although last week when i cut them i very nearly cut too close and he did a little wriggle and tried to nip my finger (first time ever) and i was shocked, obviously i understood but then he kept trying to nip me after the little devil. I think he mightve liked the taste of my nails aswel ha.
I put him in his bath tub. hedgie-daddy holds him (fingers interlocked and feet hanging out and then I grab a foot and clip the nails. Also we get them done when we take him to the vet but that's only like once a year. Sometimes I manage to do it by myself but we've never managed it outside the bathtub. I'm practicing scruffing but have never managed that outside the tub either. Maybe eventually I'll get really good at scruffing him and feel comfortable enough to hold him like that while hedgiedaddy trims nails. To do it myself outside the tub I would need three hands and the ability to scruff him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live by myself so all the nail clipping must be done by me and me alone. I have found two methods to be really good. I scruff Tama when I can but it's more about when she doesn't feel like putting up a struggle. I'm very lucky in that she's a sleeper/cuddler so usually the best way is to have a small fleece cloth (square shaped) just enough to wrap around her like a hotdog and have her positioned on it diagonally. this way there is enough of the cloth to cover her face so she can be "in darkness" and I work the cloth so that one leg is poking out of it. she's usually fine about it as long as she has something covering her face. I usually only get 1 or 2 legs done at a time. but it's easier on both of us (plus the cloth helps prevent you from getting pricked too much)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts