Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think my hedgie is getting enough nutrition. We use Purina Kitten Chow, and he won't eat anything else. I've tried feeding him fresh fruit and veggies, but he just takes a bite, spits it out, and snacks on his cat food. We've had him for 5 months, and he just ate an earwig today. That is the first food diversity he's had in 5 months. What could we try?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I would recommend switching him to a decent food. I'm sure you've seen reaper's list, get a few foods from there. If you are feeding a good mix of foods you don't need to be worried.

If you really want him to eat veggies, try feeding Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix, there is a lot of dried fruits and veggies in it. Inky doesn't like fresh fruit either, but he will eat those.

I would not let him eat things like earwigs and other bugs around the house, there are too many risks associated with letting them eat wild insects.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you want to feed your hedgehog insects, breed at home. Buy some live at the petstore then try to keep at least 4 it may take a few more to make it more worth it, but its a start for 1 a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts