Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a pet hedgehog, named Mabel, that is 7 months. This weekend, I went away on business trip and left my grandmother to care for her. Instead of giving the proper food, she gave her 16 of the Nutrish Love Bites (24.29% Protein). The bottle says that 15-16 treats are meant for cats between 10-14 lbs. Mabel is 300 grams. I usually only give her one treat twice a week. I am very worried, and I am wondering if I should take her to the vet. She ate all of it, and her wheel showed the damage. Should I be worried?

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
How is her stool? I'm going to bet it is green and loose due to the drastic diet change. If she doesn't have diarrhea, and the stool looks semi formed, I'd most likely just monitor her and get her back to her normal diet. You will most likely just see GI upset for a few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her poop is completely normal, there was just a lot more of it. I’m going to withhold food for tonight, and if I see no change in stool, then I will start with small portions of food and slowly work my way back up.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
I would just get her back to her normal diet. No treats for awhile. If it was only for the weekend, I honestly wouldn't be too concerned if her stools isn't green or loose. Just monitor her food intake etc.

If her stools start to get green, they should return to normal soon. Green is a common sight to see when their GI flora is disturbed. A little probiotic can be added, but typically it returns to normal once the stres sor (diet change in this case) disappears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankfully it was only for one night. I would be a lot more worried if it was more than that. I’m going to keep a close eye on her, and if anything concerning happens, I’ll take her to the vet. Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts