Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took over as a new owner to a baby hedgehog the lady before had to many animals.. which led to what I’m about to say.. her cat roughed the baby hedgehog up .. thankfully he rolled up and
Poked his way to safety .. now I have him and he hates me as well he jumpes every time i try to touch him .. he bites my gloves .. and doesn’t let go. .. I could literally hold up my haNd and he will latch on and dangle like a pit bull.. we got him checked out
Other then minor cuts that will heal on their own he is just aggressive i’m wondering if he will ever start to trust me I have hope just because he is a baby but then again I don’t know how well hedgehogs are really holding grudges and things like that please help me and tell me what I should do I just want him to at least trust me and not be scared

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe it's not the first you'd think of, but it's probably the gloves. It makes your hands look larger and more threatening, I guess. Try to start approaching and handling him with your bare hands, bit by bit of course, since he's so not used to being handled. But I would only touch him in the first days or weeks when it's absolutely necessary at all, like for a health check, or when cleaning the cage, because he first needs to adjust to his new environment. He's probably still a little shocked from the encounter with the cat. Maybe use a towel to pick him up in the beginning, or a beanie cap/hidey, so you won't get hurt. Put him in your lap while he's covered, let him hear your voice, feed him his favorite treats or insects.

Also, don't pick him up from above, because hedgehogs are prey animals, they don't like it. Rather cup your hedgie from below. Once he warms up to you, does not ball up and stays calm, the quills won't hurt you anymore. It will need a lot of patience, but you will get there, I am sure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your Hedgehog doesn't hate you, He's just scared. You can get him to know your smell by putting a cloth or tissues that smell like you in his cage. To associate your smell with positive things, You can also put some treats on top of the cloth or tissue that smells like you. Try giving him treats with your bare hand. Let him sleep on your lap in a snuggle sack or on top of a cloth. Bonding with hedgehogs takes a lot of time and patience, So you don't have to rush, Take your time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts