Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my baby 1 week ago exactly, and at first, everything was fine. Poops were normal, eating habits were normal, energy was normal. And then 5 days ago (Monday), he stopped pooping anything but very liquid black poop, and there was blood in it and he only pooped about once every two hours and it was very little. Then I noticed he had stopped eating. On Wednesday I took him to the vet and on the way there he started throwing up white foamy stuff with a little blood in it. They gave me antibiotics, probiotics, and an ulcer medication, but the results they had gotten from all of their tests were clear. When I gave him his antibiotic the next morning he threw it up immediately and so the vet told me to bring him in for X-rays. He was there all day and they found nothing in his X-ray and he's not anemic. He had lost 4 ounces since the previous night so they gave him a shot of a new antibiotic and some fluids. The nurse said she also got him to eat a little chicken baby food and hold it down while he was there. Since then, I've been feeding him a few licks of chicken baby food with Creature Comfort and water in it every few hours. And he only keeps it down every other time he's fed. He's kept down his medicine, so thats good, but his poop is still the same color and he keeps throwing up every other time he eats even the tiniest bit. (the blood in both is gone now). His energy comes and goes but he's still mostly active.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough start with your new baby :/

Pls check out this syringe feeding tutorial for more advice:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/for...yringing-tutorial-syringe-feeding-sticky.html

Perhaps your feeding him too much food too close together. I think I've read before if they eat 4mls then wait 4 hours to feed again but please check this.

Were you feeding him the same food as the breeder/store or did you change the food? I'm glad there has been no more blood. If it's starts happening again, call the vet and let them know as blood can be a very worrying sign.

In the link ive attached it recommends carnivore care or hills A/D which are both nutrient packed food to help sick animals gain weight and boost appetite so you might want to look into those (is creature comfort a similar thing? I haven't heard of it before...).

Hoping his condition improves soon, keep us posted ♡

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally meant carnivore care i don’t know where creature comfort came from! Thankfully my little guy is doing much much better than he was. He hasn’t thrown up at all today and has been able to keep about twice the amount of food down as yesterday. However, his poops are still very few and far between as well as dark green and tar-ish looking. The vet thinks the breeder maybe thought he was okay to move to solid foods while he was still weening and he just didn’t take it well. He’s kept his ulcer medication down as well as his anabiotic‘s. I’ve been mixing Chicken baby food with carnivore care, probiotics, and water. He hasn’t been drinking much water though, the only way I can get him to drink any is by mixing in a little bit of chicken baby food with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts