Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sage is acting really strange all of a sudden. I just woke up to her making a strange sound. She is in her litter box, and she is opening her mouth and moving her tongue around really fast. It is like she has something stuck in her mouth. When i try to pick her up she closes her mouth and wont look at me so when i put her back down she tried to bury her face into the bottom or side of the cage. She is also making a chirping noise. When she digs her face into the cage it looks like she is falling almost. It is just so strange. Does anyone know what this is? Its 3 in the morning and i cant take her to a vet this second!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It sounds like she has a piece of kibble caught in the roof of her mouth. Usually they can get it out by themselves. Talk quietly to her and watch her for a few minutes. Once the kibble gets wet it often loosens and their tongue can pop it out. If this goes on for a while she may need help.

You can use a Q-tip to try a sweep of her mouth, back to front. Pull half the cotton off the q-tip so it isn't so fat but still leaves a little bit so it won't cut her mouth. It is easier with two people. One can try to open her mouth by holding her and inserting thumbs on either side near the back of her mouth. Gently wiggle your thumbs between her lips and jaws. A stir stick will also work between her jaws and gently twist. Make sure that you don't knock the kibble down her throat.

She is probably panic stricken so talk quietly to her and tell her what you are doing and that it will help her.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you! That has never happened before and i thought maybe she had something in there but she as wobbling too. She finally got it out after a few minutes and she stopped wobbling then too. Thank you for your help, i will know what to do if this should happen again!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
YAY, glad she got it out on her own. What shape was it that got stuck? I'd start breaking up her kibble or omit that shape. Some of them the way the roof of their mouth is, certain kibbles will get stuck. I've had a few that used to get the kibble stuck.

Usually they can get it out on their own and the best thing to do is just watch and talk quietly telling her/him it will be ok. Sometimes they will vomit to get it out. Scarey to watch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts