Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, as well as a new hedgie parent, so sorry if I seem a little clueless.

I've had my little guy for 2 months now. He seems like the really timid type, so he's just now getting to a point where I can handle him without him freaking out. However, he's still sensitive about certain areas; he doesn't like me touching his ears/face, or his belly or feet. He'll ball up and get hissy if I try to touch him in any of those places.

The problem is: his toenails are getting sooooo long. He will not let me cut them, and I'm worried that soon he's going to be uncomfortable walking or running around.

What should I do?

I was thinking about taking him to the vet to get his nails cut until he was comfortable enough with me to let me do it.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The vet would be a good option, but the vet may have just as much trouble as you with it, especially if he/she isn't used to hedgehogs. One of the best ways to clip the toenails of a hedgie is to put them in a few inches of water. They won't be able to ball up without snorting in water. He may try to get away from you still, but just be gentle and persistent. It's alright if you can't get all four feet done in the same session. Aim for getting at least one foot done, and if he's really stressed out, call it quits for the day. Do another foot or two the next night and so on until you have all his feet done. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.